Closed Thread
Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I see my FS Monday- be great to debrief and find out if I am wasting my time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had collection yesterday. 2 eggs in the end. Today we have 1 left. I'm not happy my fs insisted we go ahead with this cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF over 40 #5

I'm so sorry to read your news wanabemum. Our cycle in June was similar. My FS insisted we went ahead with only one follicle. I ended up with two eggs but neither fertilised. He pushed us because he said that's probably the best we will get. I'm sorry I don't know all of your story so I am not sure why yours insisted you keep going. It is so hard. I really feel for you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to soclose For This Useful Post:

wanabemum  (14-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey wannabe... really really hard for you. It's hard not to get all depressed.
    Let me say my "2 bits worth". Just went through a "1 egg" cycle and a day 3 transfer. Personally I would never do a 3 day transfer again. My clinic is a big 5 Day transfer clinic- BUT 'because there is only one' insisted on a 3 day transfer. Now the very reasoning they have for 5 day transfers is that they can see if the embryo continues. Apparently if it's one it changes that reasoning. Well never again! BFN I figure it didn't even make it to day 5. So beware! you've been warned! LOL

Fortitude
    xoxoxo

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fortitude For This Useful Post:

wanabemum  (14-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fortitude that is very interesting.... guess what, they want me to do a 3 day transfer! Should I ask if we can wait to 5 days?

Thanks
    Reviews
    wanabemum... so sorry to hear that.
    The data on the 3 vs 5 day embryo argument is as varied as there are FS's.
    In australia because of our strict embryo number transfer policies the trend has been to do a 5 day blast... mainly because for women under 35 this ensures the highest quality embryo.
    the general rules are based on numbers...
    3 day 3 embryos usually equal 1 day 5 blast...
    when you look at the data the pregnancy rates for 2-3 embryos at day 3 vs 1 blast are pretty similar...

However when you get over the hill the rules change. And there is a lot of argument that with older eggs they are better inside the natural environment of the uterus and do better. A lot of clinics push day 2 transfers because of this.
    My reasoning for 3 vs 5 is based on numbers... if I get >8 embryos I will go day 5 in hopes of a single normal one. (but healthy blasts can be abnormal) If I have less then I transfer the best day 3 embryos.

Last cycle I had 3 embryos.. 2 so so and 1 crap... popped them in and a bfp... ok so it was a chemical... but it proved in my eyes that in the environment of the womb the embryo matured to a beautiful blast, hatched and implanted.... would it have done that in a petri dish.... who knows???
    I personally would do a 3 day... as you really can never be sure if it would have grown better in the womb....

Fortitude
    .. hope your appointment debrief goes well

fingers.... how is DP going?? you are cycling to as well arent you??

well did the blood test yesterday... bloods were perfect baseline..lol... so the pill is working... pity they were not that last week..lol
    oh well... having scan and bloods next week to make sure it is all good for starting again

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to micca For This Useful Post:

Fortitude  (14-09-2012),Kenta  (15-09-2012),wanabemum  (14-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Micca - what you have said about day 3 blasts makes sense. You always have the most amazing information and I really appreciate it.

Fortitude - Im looking forward to hearing how you go with your debrief. I know it is such an incredibly critical meeting. These FS's don't seem to be as on to things as I would like. It feels like the responsibility falls a lot on our shoulders to find out what is working out there and what options will suit our individual situations a lot of the time. No pressure!

I am very interested in the cycle that Micca is going to go on - perhaps that is something you could raise as an alternative or in addition to the hgh etc if you choose to pursue another cycle? It's something I was thinking about.

Fingers - I will be thinking of you on the 20th! Keep us informed of how you are both going.

Soclose - How are you going? What are the next steps for you?

Me - This morning I received a call from a scientist to say that I have an "A" grade egg. i suppose that is wonderful, particularly as I only have one of them though I am not sure what it means. I will go ahead and have the transfer tomorrow morning but to be honest ladies Im not getting my hopes up. My husband will be away on a business trip as of monday for the next two weeks and I was thinking of just going on a road trip to get my mind of things. I can take my laptop with me and work from anywhere so no reason (apart from the cat) why I can't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Roxie - have you made any further decisions on what you are going to do? Hope you are ok. x

Thanks
    Reviews
    wannabe- what have they conned you into with a trasnfer? personally, I wouldn't do a day 3 again. That said people do get pregnancy from even day 2s.
    I will definately be asking ALOT of questions- DHEA, seratonin and the hardest question of all "Am I wasting my time with my eggs?".

Had a massive cry today. The 'It's never going to work' cry of feel desperate. Sigh.

Micca- looks like we will be cycle buddies. Yeah!!!! Looking forward to that.

Soclose- how you going? any new thoughts? time gives us a chance to reflect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fortitude I nearly ended up having my day 3 transfer. I turned up this morning with DH at the clinic only to be told that our marvelous grade "A" had not continued to develop. I had a choice, implant at a 1 in a 1000 chance or cancel. I chose to cancel of course. DH was a bit upset. So as a result I am sitting here with a lovely glass of wine. The one good thing that came of it is that my fs without promoting suggested the down reg cycle. So I guess that is our next step.

Can I ask everyone out there about hgh - what evidence is there that it works? My FS seems to think that there is no logic to just using it during the cycle as he thinks it is in the early stages of the follicles life when it would need it too. He said there is no evidence of it working and he is therefore reluctant to use it but would do so if I wished.

Fort what did your FS say about seratonin and about that last horrible question - how will we know when to stop? Did you pick anything else up?

One more thing that my fs said today was that it is good to stop DHEA at the start of a cycle as it can mess up hormones. This happened to me with my last cancelled cycle with my old fs - my estrogen went through the roof to the point were we had to cancel and I felt awful. So something for everyone out there to be aware of.