Closed Thread
Page 20 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default **Calling all Sydney IVF/ART ladies - from limbo land to graduates** #3

Crofty - Welcome back!!!

No my boys are not home with us yet, they are both at Randwick Hospital. Charlie has recovered well from his surgery and his bowel is working on its own so he has just started on small amounts of milk. Jack is breast feeding twice a day and slowly getting the hang of it but I expect they aren't rushing him too much as they want to keep them together. They will hopefully be home within the next 2 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Crofty, great to hear from you, not great that the natural way didn't work . My FS has had me on DHEA since the start of the year and still going on it. Menopur is pretty new in oz it was approved last year but only now seems to be available. It is different to the standard FSH like Gonal as the FSH is not artificially made in a lab it comes from the urine of menopausal nuns (nice lol). It also has some LH as well and from results on the US it has been very effective. The down side of it is comes in little virals like seizan so need to mix and draw it up each time.

Good luck with you transfer I have my fingers crossed your little emby thaws and is a sticky one.

afm just waiting for AF rear it's ugly head, think it will be early next week as starting cravings for sweeties and lower back pain with cramping.

Hope everyone else is going well for hump day xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi gals
    Peonies I hope you are ok .it was very disappointing to hear you got a negative. I like the idea of AI and I hope that brings you your baby

Crofty, I've often thought about doing the natural approach too- I hear so many stories of ppl falling pregnant between AC cycles if only it would happen to us
    My FET cycle starts as soon as AF shows up hopefully within a week

Bella and Nat , did you have to take lots of time off work for Dr M's consults and testing etc? I am starting to run out of excuses at work for taking time off. Bella I think I will do what you did-book in a consult to coincide after my next FET... It's terrible to think I am already accepting failure 😕
    Hello everyone else 🌷

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Lillac you're not accepting failure, it's just a plan b if your fet doesn't work. Knowing i had an appointment soon also softened my last BFN a little. My appt was at 5pm so didn't need a day off for that one just left work a bit early (he also does early evening phone appointments but no m'care rebate). Then I just had BTs done at local pathology lab and had to take a day off for hysteroscopy/biopsy but back to work the next day. If you need infusions (IVIG or Intralipid) they are usually done on weekends. Hope that info helps, let me know if you need more info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lillac - Bella is right. It's having a plan B. There is no harm in making the appointment.

That is what we did in preparation for this last FET not working, by arranging the donor to do AI with. I was sick of wasting time & all the delays with my clinic & wanted to be able to move straight into something.

Crofty - welcome back. To answer your question (apologies - essay alert), we found the donor through a website where people looking for donors, people wanting to be donors, people wanting a co-parenting arrangement etc, can post profiles & contact each other. We emailed several times with him, then met him & talked for ages. We've seen his blood tests and his semen analysis results ... and importantly, we are all definitely on the same page regarding level of involvement. Which is none, really. We don't want someone to be involved in our lives & he doesn't want that either. We want DH to be the father, that's why we didn't want to go with someone we already knew. Also, we know his sperm is proven, so to speak. He has 3 kids of his own with his wife ... and he has had 2 successful pregnancies from donating to other couples this year. The problem with our clinic donor is, we don't actually know if he has had any pregnancies. I'm not 100% sure but I think he had none recorded against him when we chose him & we thought that was a good thing because there's not lots of half siblings running around. But now I think well maybe, even though his sperm probably looks good on paper as the clinic certainly run tests, it might have some chromosomal issues etc. Of course it could be my eggs that are the issue, but they always seem to all or almost all fertilise and be going strong still at day 3. Then we walk in on transfer day & they say we've got 1 or 2 good enough to transfer or freeze (umm, what happened to the other 7??). The others are still there, just not the best quality. Now part of this could be due to IVFA being too strict and throwing away what might be perfectly good embryos (this still upsets me), or it could be a problem occurring after day 3. A few people have told me this is usually due to sperm issues, although my FS refused to be drawn on that possibility of course, because it is donor sperm that we have paid them for. Does anyone know anything about sperm vs egg issues later in the development?

Anyway, so we thought - well maybe trying a different donor might help and doing it in a way that lets nature decide which egg & which sperm meet. And is easier on my body, obviously friendlier to the wallet & if it doesn't work, we can just go again the next month. It is the closest thing we have to trying naturally, due to DH having no sperm. So ummm, that's it ... crazy? DH & I are just in the process of writing a contract to send to him to get everything we've talked about written down & signed by all. Otherwise, we're all good to go. I've bought specimen jars and syringes from the chemist (I had to say it was to give oral medicine to the dog. bahahaha), and the donor is aware of the approximate timeframe of my expected fertile time.

We may return to IVF early next year if this doesn't work. Thanks girls for all your kind thoughts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peoniesarepretty View Post
    it could be a problem occurring after day 3. A few people have told me this is usually due to sperm issues, although my FS refused to be drawn on that possibility of course, because it is donor sperm that we have paid them for. Does anyone know anything about sperm vs egg issues later in the development?
    Up to 8cells/day3 the embryo is sort of on autopilot - relying on things that mum has pre-made and stored in the egg ready for use. After that the embryo needs to rely on its own DNA.

There is an assumption (which I personally don't think is true reliably enough to be warranted) that if the egg had been set up nicely enough to run for the first 3 days then the egg's contribution to the DNA must be fine, and therefore if a problem occurs after 3 days then it must be the sperm's contribution to the DNA.

So it's not really:
    before 3 days = egg problem
    after 3 days = sperm problem

but more like:
    before 3 days = egg not made properly (hardware issue)
    after 3 days = DNA problem from egg and/or sperm (software issue).
    Of course, that's still a generalisation.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

peoniesarepretty  (25-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Felicita. That analogy was very useful actually, as I work in IT. Yes, so I guess we don't really know if it's the eggs or the sperm, or the combo of the two of them together. But we've transferred 4 blasts - 3 really good ones and 1 reasonably good one, and had 1 successful implantation followed by a m/c ... and nothing else. Will see if mixing it up with different sperm helps at all. Also, at least we have met this donor and can see where he does have physical similarities to DH, which is nice.

Thanks
    Reviews

Lillac - I always make late appts so I've never taken time off for Dr M. In saying that though, I finish work at 2pm every day. I only had the 1 BT with him and that's where he discovered the immune problem

Thanks
    Reviews

I thought I wrote a post but don't know where it went? Anyway here goes again

Peonies -WOW! Thx for the info must have taken some courage to start the process and meet up with your potential donor!!!

Bring AF then Lilac- how many frosties do you have?

Alison, sorry but I was ROFL!!! Nuns urine - what the!!!! I hear you with the mixing if viles though, I did that with pregnyl shots last year, not fun

Thx Nat &Bella, why is the avg cost or using the RIs services? An any further testing costs associated? Can you PM me the RIs details? I have been tested for just about everything that I'm aware of (unsure of Nk cells though, how would I find that out?

Quartz g8 th hear that Charlie is on the road to a speedy recovery and well done on the feeding! Way to go Jack, sounds like he's spin really well! Bet you mid em heaps, on the plus side, enjoy your rest while you can before the boys come home and the sleepless nights start

Hi everyone else

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bella978 View Post
    Thanks Crofty!

Good to see you back and I wish you all the best for your FET this month I'm sorry that the natural trying didn't work out, but sounds like you have a plan to move forward with.

I went to Nat's RI (reproductive immunologist) after 6 failed transfers (2 chems, 4 BFNs) and have no doubt he is 100% to thank for my recent BFP. He is a genius at finding out the cause of recurrent implantation failure so if you don't have luck this month and you are doing another stim cycle in January I'd really recommend seeing him before that. Happy to PM his details if you want them. The wait for an appt in about 3-4 weeks. I booked in at the beginning of my last FET cycle (as I was already convinced it wouldn't work) and had my appt and tests before my next stim cycle. He's very efficient and aggressive in his treatment, which is exactly what I wanted. Have you been tested for immune issues like NK cells?

Hi everyone else
    Hey Bella, would you mind sending his details through to us too? TIA