+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF Stories with low AMH and/or Antagonist Cycle

Hi!

My hubby and I started our IVF journey this year. I have endometriosis which has resulted in my right tube being blocked and the left partially blocked. I also have a borderline AMH level of 7.9 which means I have less good quality eggs remaining in my ovaries than normally expected for my age. I am 27 and we have had no luck conceiving naturally over the last 3 years.

Our first cycle I was injecting Buserilin daily to down regulate. Unfortunately I had a follicle left over inside and this then turned into a functioning cyst. My estrogen level was measuring over 2000 when it should have been less than 100 at the time of my blood test! I had two trigger injections of Ovidrel over the space of a week to get rid of the cyst while still taking Buserilin but it just kept getting bigger and my estrogen level kept rising. The Dr made the call to postpone the cycle until the cyst has gone.

I will have a scan on Day 1 of my next cycle and (fingers crossed) if the cyst has gone we are going to start an antagonist cycle using Gonal F on Day 2 of the cycle and then start with Cetrotide on Day 6 to prevent any eggs from releasing prematurely. I understand an antagonist cycle is a lot quicker but I am worried as I have a borderline AMH level that I may not get many eggs or any good quality ones.

Does anyone find themselves in a similar situation or have any success with an antagonist cycle with low AMH level? Also interested in anyone that had a postponed or cancelled cycle due to a cyst as I was told this is quite uncommon. The Dr was perplexed with my reaction to Buserilin as my body seemed to react the opposite way to what it was supposed to. If the cyst does not go away naturally within 3 cycles I will have surgery to remove it and if surgery is required the Dr said it would be a good opportunity to possibly unblock my tubes to try and conceive naturally. Has anyone had tubal surgery?

Interested in hearing your stories

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi kiwi,

I did an antagonist cycle with AMH of 8 (I'm 24) and got 26 eggs and 7 embryos to blastocyst so don't count yourself out- in saying that my FS saidi was the extreme and he'd never seen that in someone with low AMH. I was told ideally with low AMH 8-12 is the absolute ideal amount. Keep in mind the first cycle rarely goes to plan as they have no idea how your body will respond. Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi,

I have an AMH of 5 and did an antagonist cycle. My DH also has low sperm count. I started with puregon (FSH) then orgalutran to stop early ovulation. Then ovidrel as my trigger before EPU. They found 14 follicles, 9 eggs, 8 suitable for ICSI, 7 fertilised & 3 made it to blastocyst. We had an unsuccessful fresh transfer but I'm now 5w2d pregnant with our 1st FET from that cycle. So I suppose the answer (as far as I'm concerned) is yes! 😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Just wondering how long you all had the stim injections (be it puregon or something else) prior to egg pick up under your antagonist cycles?

I start jabbing today on my first antagonist cycle, and I might only be stim'ing for just over a week (i.e. egg pick up might be next Thursday - thats only 10 days after starting puregon)... im a little worried this is being too rushed!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a success story with the antagonist cycle and a amh of 6.7. I am 38 but we did ivf mainly due to male factor infertility. I used orgalutran as the antagonist instead. Never did any tubal surgery cos my plumbing was all ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lynlee, 10 days sounds decent.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah I agree. I think mine was 9 or 10 days. Your first cycle is a real balancing act and a bit of a guessing game I suppose. Educated guess of course 😊 I think it's based on weight & they hope for enough follicles without giving you Ovarian hyperstimulation. That's why you'll do BT & scans every few days or so. I believe they book you in 48hrs (approx) after when your lead (biggest) follicle is around 14mm. Don't panic. It sounds like you're doing fine. And they'll keep you on track. Ask us all questions anytime, your first cycle is so overwhelming. Hopefully your first and last though. 😄 and believe me, if you've got a good number of follies at 10 days you'll want them out, it starts to feel like tennis balls under your skin. How did your first injection go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    ok good to know, thanks for your responses... i was just worried as my last IVF round I did the long down reg and the stims went for almost 2 weeks!! if my egg pick up is thurs, I would have only done 8 doses of puregon... i suppose i should just stop stressing and trust they know what they are doing!!

just noticed your signature, congrats bek on your BFP!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Hey thanks lynlee. Sorry about the 1st IVF round stuff I said. I got confused thinking its your 1st but it's your first antagonist. Well good luck anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies great to hear some success stories! Lynlee I still haven't had my first antagonist cycle as waiting patiently for my cyst to magically disappear! But according to my treatment plan I will be taking Gonal F for about 10 days before egg collection... all going to plan of course I have done a bit of online research and forum scanning and it seems the one big pro of doing an antagonist cycle is that it is a lot easier on your body as you are not taking as many drugs for anywhere near as long as a down regulation cycle. Makes sense and got to focus on the positives right!