+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I never saw my mother drink until we had moved out of home. My Dad, there are hardly ANY memories with him WITHOUT a beer in his hand. I still remember one night where they had a fight cos of Dad being drunk at a party and he broke his hand punching a wall instead of a fridge (he missed the fridge and hit the wall instead) His beer was all home brew. I still remember the smell of hops and bottles of beer exploding from the heat in the garage where they fermented.

They divorced years later and now Dad doesnt drink. Go figure. Couldnt set a good exampled for his kids when younger but gave up booze for his new partner and impress her

DH and I rarely drink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Dad drank (pretty much still does now) after work, usually a six pack each night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default "spin off" what was the alcohol culture in your home

Mum and Dad were not big drinkers at all. They might have had 1-2 drinks on a social occasion but that's it..... They are still the same.....

I did a few big binge sessions in my late teens..... Hardly drank in my early 20s (that's when I had my kids) but I do enjoy a glass of wine or two a night now in my late 20s, and the occasional binge sesh...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mahjong View Post
    I never saw my mother drink until we had moved out of home. My Dad, there are hardly ANY memories with him WITHOUT a beer in his hand. I still remember one night where they had a fight cos of Dad being drunk at a party and he broke his hand punching a wall instead of a fridge (he missed the fridge and hit the wall instead) His beer was all home brew. I still remember the smell of hops and bottles of beer exploding from the heat in the garage where they fermented.

They divorced years later and now Dad doesnt drink. Go figure. Couldnt set a good exampled for his kids when younger but gave up booze for his new partner and impress her

DH and I rarely drink.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Mahjong  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Growing up? And is it different in your home now?
    My mum never touched alcohol , not even a sip of champagne for a toast, my dad drinks but only if we had guests or a party or if he went out for lunch/dinner and i have never seen him drunk, and I was just thinking we are similar now, we only drink if people come over for dinner or parties or if we go out, DH had a few beers or red wine with dinner and since having DS I hardly drink anything anymore !
    Exactly this!

Thanks
    Reviews

I have never seen my mum drinking - all she says is that her personality changes and she gets nasty so she doesn't.
    My dad loves a beer ... I can remember holidays as a kid dad always had a beer, bbqs etc ... Nowadays if we go visit dh and he will make thru several beers together. Nowadays he will a few times a week have a couple of whiskers in the evening. We were those kids that used to get dada beer from the fridge.

As for the culture ... We were taught to drink alcohol responsibly, not to excess, not to vomittibg, slurred speech, stumbling etc. we were taught you always need to have a designated driver if you had been drinking.

Ironically now we are adults my brother and I rarely drink (maybe one beer every now an then - and my Sid may have a few wines).

This is exactly how my children will be raised.

Thanks
    Reviews

My parents have always and still do drink every night, and all throughtout the day o weekends. They never got smashed, but most of the time they'd be both quite tipsy and just fall asleep on the couch. But it never affected us badly, and they aren't alcoholics, just love wine lol DH and I are much the same now

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dad usually has a fair few beers at night, and always has as far as I remember. He always had a tendency to get quite irritable when he had a lot and I remember many super loud aggressive fights. And a few dinners sliding down walls and as such. Never hit or anything but certainly very explosive. Mum used to only drink at social things and pretty much drank more as we got older. Certainly have seen them both fairly sloshed though.

DH and I very rarely drink. DH might have a 1 or 2 bourbon and cokes when we are out. I pretty much never drink, I have been drunk a grand total of 2 times in my life, however there are only 2 things I can drink that don't make me throw up instantly which may influence that. My oldest brother doesn't drink very much, might have 1 or 2 ciders a week. My middle brother drinks quite a lot, but he's a RAFie so I think that has something to do with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents only drank socially and I never ever got drunk (in fact Dad has only ever been drunk once in his life).
    I dont drink at all. Hubby will have a glass of wine at dinner with his grandparents or a beer if we go out for dinner. The only time he drinks more than that is his work christmas function when he isnt all out drunk but he is definitely tipsy
    As a household we only keep a bottle of red and white wine for cooking purposes but other than that there isnt any alcohol around at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum went through a stage of heavy binge drinking when I was about 14-17. She always had a few on Friday nights, and a couple over the weekend, but recently we've found out she would drink to get drunk almost every night of the week when we were older. She rarely drinks anymore, and when she does she only has a couple.
    My dad never drinks. Every now and then he might have a beer or two, but that's very rare.

DH's parents both drink alot. Before MIL was working, they could drink every second night, and over the Christmas break they go nuts, drinking and being drunk from lunch time every day.

When not pregnant, I enjoy a few glasses of wine, and DH might have a couple on the weekend, but not very often.