+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Both mybparents were drinkers when I was growing up I saw my dad drunk most weekends my mum only ever had a few.

These days dad drinks less and mum drinks more can't remember when I last saw either of them drunk lol

AFM I was a big binge drinker between 18-25. Now I enjoy a couple of drinks at home with dinner and hardly ever go out anymore

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My dad drank, my mum didn't. He was European, she is Australian. It is just a part of our culture. I used to be a big drinker when I was younger - not now, but I still enjoy having a few drinks when I go out once every 4 or 5 months.

I only drink socially now, never at home by myself. My husband does drink at home, he is from a country where drinking is socially acceptable.

I will say something though - all those countries where drinking seems socially acceptable don't seem to have the massive issues we have with drinking, why is that? The alcohol fuelled violence, glassings and binge drinking issues. Strange.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dad used to have the odd beer whilst watching the footy or whatever, my mum used to break out the bourbon on special occasions (which us kids would be given the dregs at the bottom of the glass..).
    There'd be bubbly on Xmas day which as kids we were allowed one glass of also.

From age 16 to about 22 I was a BIG drinker. Most days I'd have at least one drink, weekends I'd have dozens..

Since becoming a mum over 6 years ago I've hardly drank at all. There have been a few social occasions where I've had one or two, but I haven't had a drink since last March. But thats more to do with quitting smoking and not wanting to have the association making me want to light up.
    My sister is a heavy drinker and has been for about 15 years.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Neither of my parents drank at all.

They stressed that alcohol isn't a good thing; it's easy to lose control to it, and then you run the risk of losing everything and destroying yourself completely.

We were told that if we had to drink, we had to wait until we were 18, because drinking any younger can do serious damage to your mind and body.

My mum was a nurse so she saw young kids in serious bodily harm from drinking.

I have 9 siblings and none of us drink.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default "spin off" what was the alcohol culture in your home

Both my parents were and are high functioning alcoholics. Alcohol was an everyday occurrence and I started drinking with my mum at 13. I drank a lot until about 18/19. In our house now dp and I will have a glass of wine with dinner or a scotch once every few months mainly when her parents are visiting as they are Greek and make their own alcohol etc

Dp and I both do not want our DD to think alcohol is the norm and we will educate her accordingly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My mum never drank alcohol when I was growing up - well maybe a west coast twice a year. She still doesn't drink much now - although slightly more than an annual west coast these days.

My dad has always had a lot of beer. It's the only thing he drinks and he has it often. I wouldn't be surprised if he has alcohol related diseases. He has a huge beer gut too. My whole life he has been a boozer - I'd say he suffers from alcoholism.

I have a few beers or wines daily myself. I actually think I have a bit of an issue myself. I don't drink to extreme ... Can just have 2 beers and leave it at that ... But I struggle to have nothing at all. I feel it's become a habit. It's also the social culture of my friendship circle.
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 07-09-2012 at 11:57.

Thanks
    Reviews

Both parents non-drinkers.

I use to binge drink when I was younger but haven't had a drink in 10 months. Really not interested anymore, DF barely has anything to drink either.

Thanks
    Reviews

My mum was an alcoholic and drug user when I was a kid, my only memories are of her being smashed all the time. She finally cleaned herself up when I was 14.
    We dont drink in our house, unless people are over I might have a wine or a cider and my DH will have a beer.
    But I've been pregnant pretty much for 15 - 16 months now lol so I haven't had a drink since new years 2011.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dad would have wine at social occasions, and the odd whisky now and again. Mum would have an occasional champagne/ wine, but she wasn't really a drinker.

My sister and I both had wine with dinner from an early age (small glasses), which was the norm where I grew up.

My sister never drank very much, and has it occasionally now.

I went through a bit of a party stage from school through to uni, but never anything too extreme.

I enjoy wine or champagne now, and would have them a few times a week, depending on what's happening. I belong to wine clubs, and enjoy trying new wines. DH enjoys it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My parents were the kind that liked to have a few drinks on Friday and Saturday nights. They still are. They also love drinking at social occasions. They are quite bummed if they have to attend an event with alcohol and one of them has to be designated driver. They often get a hotel room for such occasions so they can both drink.

I started drinking myself at about 15 years of age. I was definitely a binge drinker. Even into my late 20's I would still binge drink on occasion.

These days I don't really go beyond two drinks, usually once or twice a week. Generally only on the weekends. DH drinks beer most nights, which is something I've been encouraging him to cut down on.