+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My parents are zero drinkers but the first time I drank it was at home because my dad would rather me drunk under his roof than out on the streets...but they generally are negative about alcohol. Luckily I don't like it much.

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default "spin off" what was the alcohol culture in your home

Mum drank a lot, I don't drink more than a glass of wine with dinner or a cocktail if we go somewhere fancy. Can't remember my last drink though!!!

DPs parents don't drink. DP used to drink more than she should, she enjoys a few beers at social gatherings or a glass of wine with dinner (if we have any) but only occasionally now.

I did tell her she drank too much for my liking when we started talking about kids etc about 6 months into our relationship and she cut down on the back of that conversation.

Thanks
    Reviews

Growing up my parents hardly drank. They would have an occasional wine or beer but maybe just one on a weekend.

DHs grandfather was an alcoholic and he sadly committed suicide, but DHs dad was still a big drinker. He didn't get drunk but would still drink quite a bit every night. He's a big guy so it was never enough to get him drunk.

From about 12 or 13, I was always told I could have a sip of what ever mum and dad were having a drink.

So when I turned 18, I'd go out and drink and sometimes got drunk but I never was one to think 'oh yeah. It's the weekend, let's go get drunk' I've had my fair share of big nights and done some embarrassing things (mainly for birthdays and work Christmas parties) and I now can't remember the last time I got drunk and I can't see myself getting drunk again. I'm sure when DD is older I may get tipsy at a special occasion but I want to set a good example.

DH however wasn't allowed to drink at home at all and as soon as he turned 18, he partied hard an git very drunk in many weekends which continued to well into his 20s and only slowed down in the last few years.

We both now just enjoy a wine or beer when out at dinner and a few glasses of Port on a Friday or Saturday night

Given both histories (how we grew up and how we behaved once 18) I'm happy to have alcohol in our house as my kids grow up and we will drink responsibly around them and from 15 will let them have a sip and by 17 a small glass of wine or shandy (only at home for special occasions).

I think by not ever getting drunk around the kids and allowing them the occasional taste they won't feel the need to go out and get drunk when they are 18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Mum and dad both drank only at special occasions, one or two drinks. Mum would get totally p!ssed off one glass of Chardonnay though. I was a big binge drinker from 14yo to 24yo. I then enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine a night until I got pregnant and after DS started going longer between feeds.

DH's parents are BIG drinkers and he is definitely a more responsible drinker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mum and Dad drank socially, we had a lot of parties and we also went to alot where there was heavy drinking. It was great to be honest, all the adults would be funny, singing, laughing and always happy drunks. All the kids would be playing and then sleeping on mattresses - it was so much fun. I think that there were one or two adults who were sober but as there was never any problems or need for anyone to drive I am not sure if this was the case or not.

I am sure that many people, on here in particular, would frown upon what we participated in (no child ever drank alcohol, I mean the environment) but I have great memories of watching my parents having fun and also of teasing them over the hangovers they sometimes had the next morning.

I did the typical binge drinking thing in my 20's but now in my late 30's the idea of a hangover is enough to stop me drinking for months at a time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my mom didn't drink (she only had one kidney) but dad drank after work, usually most days. a beer or two, a glass of wine.
    as kids if we wanted a sip or a small glass ourselves for a special occasion we were allowed to.
    as a teenager all my friends would steal alcohol, binge drink and spend the night vomiting. my mom would buy me a small bottle of what i wanted. i'd have a few drinks then spend the night looking after everyone else
    i honestly think because alcohol was considered 'normal' it just wasn't a big deal for me.
    i drank a fair bit in my 20's partying years but no more than anyone else. these days i like a drink in the afternoon while getting dinner ready etc. but honestly can't remember the last time i got really drunk. (okay, i can. it was in vang vien in laos, had some laos-laos rice whiskey and it absolutely floored me. that was in january 2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Interesting, but not surprising that those with parents that drank heaps don't drink much themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews

Dad used to have the occasional light beer... You know, hot days, BBQ's, after a busy weekend etc.i have never seen him or even heard of him being drunk.
    Step mum was more of a 'glass or 2 of wine' with dinner some nights. If we ever went out to friends for tea/BBQ she wold always have a few.. 4 or 5? It was always understood that dad was driving home!

My Mm and step dad were never really strict with booze. They had a drink almost every night with dinner eg. Vodka and orange juice, shandy, beer, wine, vodka and raspberry etc. but it was only ever one drink. They never told us not to drink, or said no if we asked for a sip. Mum often offered us a very weak shandy or vodka and orange juice with dinner when we were 15 or so but it wasn't ever a big deal iykwim? If I wanted to have a drink I'd ask my step dad to buy me a Stolli and he would... Just the 1, and I could drink it with dinner. It sounds terrible, but honestly it made me think differently of alcohol. I never went out and got drunk or felt like I had to sneak alcohol etc. it was just another drink in the fridge and because it wasn't a big deal, I really had no reason to care about it.

At home now I do not drink. I might have perhaps 3 drinks a year, and it's usually a mojito, cider or moscato when we have a BBQ or something. I hardly drink because i am literally tipsy after half a glass lol Hubby drinks a lot more than I do, but he too has slowed down a lot over the last few months which is good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Interesting, but not surprising that those with parents that drank heaps don't drink much themselves.
    Yes maybe true but not for everyone. My best friend's parents were massive drinkers and so is she. She could drink Keith Richards under the table.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Bubmum  (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: "spin off" what was the alcohol culture in your home

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Or most people who post here dont drink much regardless of how much their parents used to drink.

However it's important to note that expressions like "drink little" or "drink much" are very relative depending on people's experiences.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast