+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default "spin off" what was the alcohol culture in your home

Growing up? And is it different in your home now?
    My mum never touched alcohol , not even a sip of champagne for a toast, my dad drinks but only if we had guests or a party or if he went out for lunch/dinner and i have never seen him drunk, and I was just thinking we are similar now, we only drink if people come over for dinner or parties or if we go out, DH had a few beers or red wine with dinner and since having DS I hardly drink anything anymore !

Thanks
    Reviews

My dad would occasionally have a strongbo, my mum would be tipsy on one west coast cooler. Generally speaking they didn't drink. My hubby has a few beers from time to time, but I'm not much of a drinker either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My parents didn't drink at all when I was growing up.

My mum occasionally has wine now when they are out with friends or if they have people over. It's funny to see her drink!

DH and I both drink wine regularly. We enjoy sitting down with a glass at night together.

Neither of us have ever been binge drinkers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Mum had the occasional wine. Dad didn't drink for along time due to epilepsy medication, but he does drink now sometimes i think. We always had gin the the fridge but mum drank it very rarely and I used to sneak it after school.

My step mum has always enjoyed a beer and always responsibly and same with my step father.

Dh rarely drinks and when he does it's one or two beers or one of those Jim beam cans. I enjoy the um, odd wine . I have to be careful as I could easily slip into bingeing.
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 06-09-2012 at 17:12.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: "spin off" what was the alcohol culture in your home

Both my grandfathers were alcoholics, so as kids we were taught it was bad, never to be touched, barred from entering pubs etc. there was war when my elder siblings started to drink, and of course cos it was forbidden, it was very attractive

once we all hit our 20's my parents had mellowed a bit. My father was a teetotaller all his life but my mum and us siblings enjoyed (and still do) sharing a bottle of wine or whatever.

ETA in my house now, we don't drink much, a beer or glass of wine on the weekend. I used to happily go through a bottle or two on a weekend night but have cut back lately, to exxy and too many calories.

**Nothing spells as goof as typo splats**
    Last edited by Gothel; 06-09-2012 at 17:04.

Thanks
    Reviews

There was a LOT of alcohol in my house. We were never hurt or put at risk but my dad is an alcoholic and could go through a cask in a night or two or a carton in a night or two. Mum always enjoyed a few wines but she was always much more in control.

As for me there is a bit of alcohol in my house because I am living with family at the moment. I only drink when the toddler is at daddy's house. And even then it isn't very much as in my line of work there are some very early starts and very late finishes so without a big rest you'd be dead!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: "spin off" what was the alcohol culture in your home

My mum and dad would enjoy a glass of wine with dinner and/or once we kids had gone to bed, most nights. I've never seen either of them drunk, tipsy once or twice but that's it.

ETA it's the same in our house now, DP and I drink probably 3-5 nights a week but barely ever to excess.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 06-09-2012 at 17:10.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My parents drank regularly and smoked regularly. I didn't drink till 18, had my fun. Had a family, still drink on weekends and a few times during the week (not enough to get drunk. Just relaxed) (not while preg either)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonkers For This Useful Post:

NurseAnni  (06-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mother did not drink at all, not a drop.
    My father was an alcoholic and i saw it all.

DH and both drink but not to excess, just a drink with dinner or in the evening (never drunk).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My mum never drank alcohol ever.
    My dad was a big beer drinker and used to get quite moody on a certain type of beer until it nearly tore him and mum apart so he soon realised and changed the beer he drank, he became a different person and have had no issues since.

Dh's mum never drank either but his dad was a moderate drinker.

Dh and I aren't big drinkers, we were when we were younger when going through the night clubbing faze but it's a faze we soon got bored of and we rarely drink these days, it's been that way for the past 10yrs. We enjoy sitting out the front having a few drinks some nights while we cook a bbq and watch the kids play or catch up with friends but we only have a max of 3. We often go weeks without having a drink. It's been years since either of us got anywhere near drunk.