View Poll Results: What did you find was the most effective way of dealing with a bully?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ignoring them

3 16.67%
  • Hitting them

2 11.11%
  • Telling them to stop

5 27.78%
  • "running away"/changing schools etc

2 11.11%
  • Other

6 33.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bullying *Possible Trigger Warning*

Last edited by lolly137; 17-09-2015 at 19:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Bullying *Possible Trigger Warning*

Nothing, what stopped it was the bullies leaving after year 10.

My parents encouraged me to do all of the above except move schools

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I chose other because I didn't do any of the multiple choice.. I lashed out and became a bully, I never hit anyone though.

I became popular when I changed schools (parents divorced and we moved) and I actively searched out the popular group, climbed my way to the top and became a bully...

I am worried about bullying with my children (they have red hair, DH was teased throughout school for this), but I plan on teaching them to be confident enough in themselves to stand up to bullies (without violence)... A few years yet till I have to worry about it, but it terrifies me.

Thanks
    Reviews

I was too embarassed to tell my mum. I told my principal and he gave them a 'chat' and it made it worse. I ignored it but left in year 11 after I punched one of them in the head for egging me on after I had told them to stop calling me an awful nickname. I pleaded with my mum and ended up getting a job, worked out well for me.

Thanks
    Reviews

I just ignored it. Was hard but they eventually stopped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was bullied through both primary and high school... By the same group of girls..

I change primary schools, only to reunite with them in high school.. So ended up having to change high schools after a few years too.

I think a great way to prevent your child being bullied, would be to involve them in 'popular' activities where they will learn social skills, and have something in common with other kids.

I was never sent to any activities so I think this is part of what screwed me..

However, the schools that I changed to, I was never bullied at either of those, so it can also just be the kids at the school, rather then your actual child and the way they interact.

Teasing however, can happen at any time, and I think ignoring it, or not taking it seriously can help put a stop to it.

Thanks
    Reviews

I ignored it as long as I could, then discovered that my 'shell' had become thick enough that it didn't worry me any more. I became a smart a$$ back & when they realized I didn't care any more, they stopped. A nickname that I was given at 10, designed to upset me is still used by some of those same people - and they've defended me against others who have used the same nickname.

I was lucky though in that it wasn't targeted bullying just jerks trying to get a rise out of me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    none of the answers worked for me. no matter which way i went nothing worked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I voted other, I was bullied all through primary school, mostly just through exclusion, but sometimes other more hurtful things. I can honestly say I did not have a single friend in primary school. All the primary schools I went to were public schools with 800+ kids from year 1 to year 7 in them and I was bullied because I would not swear or B!tch or be mean.
    It stopped when I moved to high school. Both the high schools I went to were small private schools both had less than 800 kids from kindy to year 12. I don't know what made the difference but that's what changed it for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I luckily was never bullied at all, but it is really distressing how common it seems to be - in the last month , 2 of my nieces and my friends little girl all went through bullying , my 7 year old niece is ok, the school delt with it quite well and my sister had a " friendly" chat with the bully's mother !

My other niece (10) is not coping well at all, school has tried but the parents of the bully don't care and my friend pulled her (9 year old) straight out of school mid term and put her in a private school ( she is now thriving)