+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Alcohol/Bar at a school Fete? WDYT?

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I think it's sad people need a drink to have a good time.

Fwiw I do drink I just don't think it's appropriate at a school fete.
    I don't think most on here are talking about needing a drink to have a good time, i think its just like sitting down with a coffee having a chat , sitting down and having a glass of wine with a few friends i don't think is sad - getting blind drunk just so you have a good time is sad

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (07-09-2012),Witwicky  (06-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    People do leave the drinking area, to go to the toilet, to take their child to the jumping castle, to get a hamburger etc. I see it similar to smoking. It could be argued smoking is fine at a fete as long as they smoke away from the kids? bc non smokers are just uptight? the difference is smoking doesn't change your behaviour.

I wouldn't know how people act at school events as our school doesn't hold events with alcohol
    Del, I'm sorry but it's just not like that. It's usuall y an evening thing, when the bands come out, it's a social event. It's kids running around and the parents having a chat and a wine. It's not parents lunging around drunkenly at midday.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Perhaps OP, a religious school might be better suited to your needs?
    My kids have always gone to Christian schools and have had alcohol tents

Ps. I accidentally thanked kimberlygals post calling people fuddy duddies. I don't agree with that and can't remove the thanks from my phone! Jftr!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Alcohol/Bar at a school Fete? WDYT?

That isn't what your OP was at all. It wasn't "why do you drink".
    My OP was a conversation starter... Nothing more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Del, I'm sorry but it's just not like that. It's usuall y an evening thing, when the bands come out, it's a social event. It's kids running around and the parents having a chat and a wine. It's not parents lunging around drunkenly at midday.
    Yeah I know most parents are completely mature about it, have a few glasses of wine and chat. My concern is there is always a small percentage that ruin it. They are the ones that worry me, not the former.

I admit I have a different stance of the subject bc of my upbringing. Just as a person that's grand father died of smoking or a brother from a drug addiction iykwim. DH also had alcoholic parents so we are probably over anxious about the topic. I can't change how I feel, and again I wouldn't agree with an across the board ban.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    I think australian culture as a whole is way, way too reliant on alcohol..

That's what I think...
    Have you ever travelled to Europe? Just curious

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (06-09-2012),mummabec  (07-09-2012),wannawannabe  (06-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    I guess that's where I'll never understand alcohol... Why can't u catch up without alcohol? What's wrong with soft drink, coffee etc? I just personally don't understand why alcohol needs to be in drinks at all....
    Personally I can catch up without alcohol, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't drink, most of the time I do. There is more to drinking than getting drunk. I don't need other people to understand why I do or don't choose to drink. I'm fine with people not drinking too and I don't feel a need to understand this.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (06-09-2012),Guest654  (07-09-2012),Happy2be3  (06-09-2012),Stiflers Mom  (06-09-2012),Witwicky  (06-09-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I don't think most on here are talking about needing a drink to have a good time, i think its just like sitting down with a coffee having a chat , sitting down and having a glass of wine with a few friends i don't think is sad - getting blind drunk just so you have a good time is sad
    I'm not talking about the gentle consumption of alcohol I'm talking about there needing to be alcohol for people to even be interested in socializing/attending at a school fete. I enjoy the odd drink while socializing but I don't 'need' it to enjoy myself.

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't believe alcohol should be at a school. If it is out school grounds then sure, go for your life, but if he fete is actually in school grounds then I dont think it's a good look.

I work for an international company, and even we have a very strict alcohol policy. About a year ago it was introduced. No more Friday night drinks in the staff room. No more taking a client out to lunch and having an alcoholic drink (if you do this you are not allowed back into he office, even if it was just a pot of beer etc), no alcohol whatsoever on any work premises etc.

Anyway, as I said, if it's on school grounds then no, if it's off of school property then go for your life.

I used to be a drinker and I believe I still would have thought that way. My partner is an alcoholic (4.5 years sober) and I believe he would feel the same way too. I no longer drink pretty much because he doesn't do. I still used to have a couple when we went out but he doesn't do it's boring I have 1 or 2 drinks on ur own.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

And I think it's sad that people judge others drinking like that.
    I meant sad as a culture not that the people were 'sad'. See my above post.