+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    meh ? relax Fetes are about raising money and grog is one of the best fund raisers.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

babyla  (06-09-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (06-09-2012),Luna Lovegood  (06-09-2012),PomPoms  (06-09-2012),wannawannabe  (06-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Alcohol/Bar at a school Fete? WDYT?

I think it's weird as I've never seen one at a fete before. I think if it's cut off from the kiddie play areas and cordoned off its no biggie. Of course provided they serve it responsibly and patrons are enjoying one or two drinks... Not 20.

Hey, it might actually get DH to come along to these fetes willingly lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    I held a stall at a fundraising event a while ago - it was in a school hall, there was also going to be a stall with a wine tasting and selling at the evening. It was clearly stated on the event invitation that it would be an 18+ event for this reason.
    See I would be ok with this. 18+ with adults kicking back having a couple of good glasses of wine. I'm not saying any drinking is bad. I just think a school fete is child orientated. But then I have the same stance for kids bday parties and drinking...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (06-09-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know, I think it's a bit weird to have it at a kids fete but then when I think about it I'd probably be glad of a glass of wine whilst watching the kids play *chuckle*.
    My son watches me have a glass or two at home with DH and doesn't get all excited about it. He's stuck his finger in once and licked it (cheeky monkey!) and got a puckered face for his efforts and hasn't gone near it since.

So I don't know, it's a little weird to me. But no weirder than having a glass at a bbq at home with friends around. Your kids (and theirs) are going to be in a similar, high energy environment and busy playing. So just like a bbq at home they probably wouldn't even notice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by gizmoduckus View Post
    I am one who also enjoys to drink, but this makes me feel a bit uneasy. I know that I know how to drink responsibly around children but who's to say that every adult there would do the same. I wouldn't be happy if my children saw Ben's mother or Susan's dad intoxicated.

*not their real names
    That's life though. There's a good educational opportunity/conversation starter in every situation. That's just the way I see it (within reason.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think my kids would be frightened seeing someone really blottoed. DH and I very rarely drink. I will have one every now and then but I'm never drunk and certainly never around the kids. I think the education comes from seeing adults having one or two drinks then stopping, showing responsible drinking.

But again, I concede I have a skewed opinion of alcohol given I spent half my childhood living with a chronic alcoholic...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    From what I can remember my primary school fetes always had a 'beer tent' (our fetes were run 12pm-9pm) and the tent was always well away from the oval where the main activities with no under 18's allowed (babies/toddlers included)

I don't see anything wrong with volunteering on a stall for the last 3 hours with a couple of others mums and going off to have a glass of wine at 4pm whilst your 10/11/12 year olds run around by themselves.

Wouldn't be agreeing with it if you had younger children that needed constant supervision, but I think if you've got kids in the upper years of primary school (which after 10 years of going to same fete every year, my parents were over it) who just want to run around with their friends and have fun, its a good way to keep the parents at the fete.

I guess would you rather 50 12 year olds running around the school, whose parents have gone home because they just can not go to one more fete, or having the parents enjoy a couple of drinks with quick and easy access to their children if needed?
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 06-09-2012 at 16:07.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think my kids would be frightened seeing someone really blottoed. DH and I very rarely drink. I will have one every now and then but I'm never drunk and certainly never around the kids. I think the education comes from seeing adults having one or two drinks then stopping, showing responsible drinking.

But again, I concede I have a skewed opinion of alcohol given I spent half my childhood living with a chronic alcoholic...
    Yeah and I understand. My kids see responsible drinking often and I don't go out of my way to show them drunkards but i am happy for them to see both sides as long as there is conversation to follow . I definitely don't want them seeing drunkeness as the norm.

My view is skewed too. I never saw drunkenness or anything and nothing was ever explained to me and I grew up to be an addict and drank ALOT. I think we all differ due to our own experiences.
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 06-09-2012 at 16:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    See I think its sad that people cant seem to go a few hours at a childs event without having a drink. The number of childrens parties I have been to where the adults are drinking is just sad.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Solarberry For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (06-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I must admit, the fetes I have been to that have a drinks area, it seems all the dads go and drink beer while the mums look after the kids and work on the stalls. Having said that, I'm not particularly opposed to it and understand it's a money spinner.