+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Alcohol/Bar at a school Fete? WDYT?

I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. In fact I would quite enjoy something like that.

Also maybe it's a plot to make the parents buy more as they may be a little 'merry' jus saying :P

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I understood, Witwicky
    Lol I'm glad someone did

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Maybe start a separate thread for a discussion on that point if you want a debate. Just a thought.
    I wasn't looking for a debate, but thank you for your input...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I wasn't looking for a debate, but thank you for your input...

I meant that genuinely. It would actually be an interesting debate for a separate thread.

Jeez a lot of posts on this thread are venomous tonight.
    Last edited by Sonja; 07-09-2012 at 00:03.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Alcohol/Bar at a school Fete? WDYT?

I can have fun without alcohol. I can have fun without sausages. I can have fun without coffee.

I still like having them. I don't understand the 'show our kids we can have fun without drinking' remark. In that case we should ban everything enjoyable to prove we can still have fun.

The people who don't see it as appropriate (mostly) seem to link alcohol with drunkenness.

I enjoy wine. I will happily join Nancy Blackett on the wine tasting circuits! It's not about being drunk.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (07-09-2012),DailyDiversion  (07-09-2012),FluffyDucks  (07-09-2012),shelle65  (07-09-2012),Witwicky  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I can have fun without alcohol. I can have fun without sausages. I can have fun without coffee.

I still like having them. I don't understand the 'show our kids we can have fun without drinking' remark. In that case we should ban everything enjoyable to prove we can still have fun.

The people who don't see it as appropriate (mostly) seem to link alcohol with drunkenness.

I enjoy wine. I will happily join Nancy Blackett on the wine tasting circuits! It's not about being drunk.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    I agree. There are many, many things that my child finds fun that I don't drink at. He understands fun can be had without alcohol. Fetes are a revenue raising exercise as well as a way for parents to get together. Some people, i.e me, do not find lucky dips and cake stalls the height of fun. Luckily I seem to live in areas that understand adults need some stimulation too. I guess everyone should never take their children to sporting matches. You know, they sell alcohol there, or should we ban it everywhere for the sake of a teetotaller's child?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (07-09-2012),Witwicky  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ..I think maybe people are coming into this with their own preconceived ideas about what a group of people drinking looks like.

As Beetle and Ishty have said they have bands and a very what I would consider 'upmarket' feel at the fetes and fundraisers they have attended (?? ~ maybe) ..where the town I was raised in was bushies and roughnuts that drank to get drunk. And in the suburb I live in now is what would be considered low socioeconomic - so the 'drinking culture' is 'everyday type drinking'... but more the 'long neck in hand durrie in the other' type 'normalisation of drinking.

I imagine a wine tent at our school celebration would get laughed at.

When we head down to the shops, we don't wander past a cafe with delicious looking food and people enjoying one glass to wash it down - instead we walk past the bottle-O with unwashed people sitting on the front steps swigging out of a brown paper bag encased bottle.

I guess there are always extremes...

I remember growing up - My Dad and his new wife took me (maybe aged 12) on wine tasting tour... I know plenty of people would baulk at that. But it was done responsibly, I got to taste some grape juice, therefore felt 'included' - they were capable of driving from winery to winery and we got to see the Beauty of the Barossa Valley.
    Culturally, I think that is acceptable. I wouldn't be backing up a parent who took their child on a pub crawl with the intent of getting smashed though.

Basically - I guess this (the alcohol at schools thing) - is something that does/would need to be assessed school by school, community by community.

Thanks
    Reviews

It's not the alcohol that's the problem
    In my view, it's the people drinking. If all the parents only had a glass or two of wine or a beer and kept it civilized, I don't see a problem with it.

If u have people that get drunk around the kids, then it's a big problem.

Plus you don't have to partake.

I don't like excessive alcohol around children, but don't have a problem with a glass of wine while you wander around a fete, especially if it's an afternoon/ twilight one.

My newphew goes to an independent school and they have a lovely fete every year. In winter this year they had mulled wine and hot apple cider, was really nice and I did not see one drunk person.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 07-09-2012 at 09:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have never seen a drunk person at our friday night social's..

NOT EVER..

Its just not the norm, to get trashed. You would be out of place.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Alcohol/Bar at a school Fete? WDYT?

I haven't read the whole thread but seriously, if it gets the job done, raises money for the kids, engages parents and parents demonstrate moderation, than why shouldn't the school raise money in a perfectly legal manner.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (07-09-2012)