+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    My kids have always gone to Christian schools and have had alcohol tents
    I was about to say the same, I was raised catholic, heck we can't go a Sunday morning with out a swig of wine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Alcohol/Bar at a school Fete? WDYT?

Ah geeze... You people are all just too stressed out! I started this post as a FRIENDS school is doing this and I'd never heard of it.

No judging intended!

P. S I'm actually finding this all quite entertaining :-)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Alcohol/Bar at a school Fete? WDYT?

Why does it bother people so much if others drink alcohol? If the person is quietly enjoying their drink (note: not raging around like a drunken idiot) what concern is it to you?

Poor old alcohol has such a bad rep!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (06-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think it's appropriate at a family event held at a school, a quiz night or some other adults only function at a school, sure... no issue there.

I also think it really does depend on the school, our local primary has enough drunks there without actually having alcohol supplied at the event.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Why does it bother people so much if others drink alcohol? If the person is quietly enjoying their drink (note: not raging around like a drunken idiot) what concern is it to you?

Poor old alcohol has such a bad rep!
    I don't mind others drinking alcohol (as long as they are doing it responsibly of course ie not drink driving). My concern is that I don't think it's appropriate at a school fete. Outside of school activities go for your life.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I don't think the average school fete should be serving alcohol, it's not the time or the place. (Admittedly I haven't been to a school fete since the early 80s - have they changed much?) I can't help but wonder how many parents would blow over the legal limit as they got in their car to drive home. What about the parents with alcohol issues who gets drunk and causes some havoc? Is the school ready to deal with such an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Karenjanef View Post
    Inappropriate I think! What if people have a drinking problem and they go along with the kids sober & then they see the alcohol stand and can't resist it. What about parents that drink too much & then get abusive? My DH used to be like that years ago and I would be soo annoyed if I took him to a kids fete and he saw alcohol then got drunk and became an angry drunk around kids
    That would be my exH. He couldn't have the one social drink, he would have wanted more and more and it would have ended in a scene.

Aren't school fetes all about lucky dips, white elephant stalls and other little fund raisers? The last one I went to it was like walking around a market - do you really need or want a drink to do this?

Having said that we did go to a local fete a few years ago where the whole thing is a really big day. It's probably not a fete as they have a series of jazz bands and singers, food to taste from around the world and wine tasting among other things to see and do. I think in that context it was fine but not for your average school fete.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (06-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm not comfortable with it, being brought up in a family where you only drank to get drunk. (Has anyone heard Blake Shelton's 'The More I Drink'? That's brings back a lot of memories for me & is a perfect description of me & alcohol.)

I do tend to raise an eyebrow when I hear about a couple of casual drinks, but I try to remind myself that other people do not have the same history or potential problems with alcohol that I do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In regards to the OP I don't think it's that unusual. When I was growing up our school always had alcohol available at fetes (not sure dad would have come along if there wasn't ). It appears this still current practice as the two local public schools held a combined fete last weekend complete with bar tent.

I have no issue at all with alcohol being served at school fetes.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    In regards to the OP I don't think it's that unusual. When I was growing up our school always had alcohol available at fetes (not sure dad would have come along if there wasn't ). It appears this still current practice as the two local public schools held a combined fete last weekend complete with bar tent.

I have no issue at all with alcohol being served at school fetes.
    ^ that's the kind of culture I'm talking about and I don't think it's funny parents don't want to spend time involving themselves in their children's activities unless there is alcohol involved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post

Having said that we did go to a local fete a few years ago where the whole thing is a really big day. It's probably not a fete as they have a series of jazz bands and singers, food to taste from around the world and wine tasting among other things to see and do. I think in that context it was fine but not for your average school fete.
    I've only ever been to fetes like this. I assumed this was normal?