+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No, no permission needed for any of those things.

I view it as a bit like being faithful. In a trusting relationship you both know what expectations you have of each other in terms of monogamy. If one cheats then it may be a dealbreaker, and may end the relationship, but we should not legislate the terms of a relationship.

I know that it would be a massive issue in our relationship if I donated eggs or if DH donated sperm. We both agree that we would not wish each other to do that.

I don't need a law to stop him from doing that. I trust that he won't, and if he broke that trust we would have big problems. A relationship is about choosing to do right by your partner - not being mandated to do so.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (06-09-2012),MissMuppet  (06-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you are in a legally recognised relationship (de facto, married etc). Then yes, I do believe that all the questions above should be agreed on by both parties, not one or the other.

When donating eggs I had to get my partners consent and he too had to go through counselling. I fully support that this should happen (in every scenario - terminations, donating eggs/sperm etc). It ensures that we are both on the same page in views and well helps to avoid any problems in your relationship.

When you are in a relationship, all those things affect not only you, but your partner also so I'm all for them having a say too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Do you think partners should have reproductive rights over each other?
    Absolutely not. I think that people in a relationship SHOULD be considerate of each other and discuss things and make compromises if possible (not all things can be compromised - they can either be one or the other)... but this certainly shouldn't be a legal requirement.

Do you think men should need formal permission to donate sperm?
    No. I do think he should discuss it with his partner though, and seek counselling if they cannot agree (he wants to donate, she doesn't want him to) to see if a compromise can be made or deal with the reasons behind their stances, and see if these need to be worked on.

Do you think women should be required to have formal permission to donate eggs or to be a surrogate?
    No, as above.

Do you think individuals within a couple should need permission to use these?

Absolutely not. An adult should not require the permission of someone else to make decisions about their own body.

Do you think women should need formal consent from partners before having a termination?
    No. All this does is give the man complete control. He says no, then no termination. He says yes, then she's "allowed" to. It's her body. Not his. I can understand he may feel upset with a decision she makes regarding termination, but he does not go into pregnancy believing that he has the right to these decisions. Unless he is a halfwit, he is aware that these decisions are FULLY hers and hers alone. He has no right to interfere with her right to decide what is done with her own body. If she doesn't want to be used an incubator for a baby she does not want, it is HER choice and her choice alone.

Do you think individuals in a committed relationship should need permission from their partners before being sterilized?
    No. I do think it would be wise if anyone who sought this would go through counselling first though, as it is a permanent decision. The partner should be somewhat involved in this counselling (though I think there should be one-on-one as well... where the partner wanting to be sterilised sees a psych without their partner in attendance). I do think the partner should be made aware of the decision, however. It would be morally wrong, IMO, to be sterilised without informing your partner of this.

I love and respect my partner, but decisions about what I do with my body will never be his. He doesn't get a say. I discuss my intentions with him, he voices his opinion, and if I need to consider his viewpoint I do. His opinion is well and truly of much less importance than my own when it involves MY body, however. I expect the same is true of him and his body.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (06-09-2012),moongazer  (06-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Reproductive rights *trigger warning*

I think legalizing ownership of someone else's bodily fluids is ridiculous.

If my husband donated sperm I think it would be the end of our relationship as I couldn't deal with the idea of him fathering children with someone else. But, in no means should I have control if he wishes to do so. He feels the same about me and my eggs.

As for termination, whilst I'm pro life, I think if a woman is going to have an abortion then she should not need the written consent of the father! What a joke.

Making it a legality is crazy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Reproductive rights *trigger warning*

Most clinics will not allow you to donate eggs without your partner's 'permission'.
    The clinic that my donation went through did not enforce my DH to attend counselling, as he had a full work schedule, but most clinics are very strict about it.
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using BubHub

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Do you think partners should have reproductive rights over each other?
    Absolutely not. I think that people in a relationship SHOULD be considerate of each other and discuss things and make compromises if possible (not all things can be compromised - they can either be one or the other)... but this certainly shouldn't be a legal requirement.

Do you think men should need formal permission to donate sperm?
    No. I do think he should discuss it with his partner though, and seek counselling if they cannot agree (he wants to donate, she doesn't want him to) to see if a compromise can be made or deal with the reasons behind their stances, and see if these need to be worked on.

Do you think women should be required to have formal permission to donate eggs or to be a surrogate?
    No, as above.

Do you think individuals within a couple should need permission to use these?

Absolutely not. An adult should not require the permission of someone else to make decisions about their own body.

Do you think women should need formal consent from partners before having a termination?
    No. All this does is give the man complete control. He says no, then no termination. He says yes, then she's "allowed" to. It's her body. Not his. I can understand he may feel upset with a decision she makes regarding termination, but he does not go into pregnancy believing that he has the right to these decisions. Unless he is a halfwit, he is aware that these decisions are FULLY hers and hers alone. He has no right to interfere with her right to decide what is done with her own body. If she doesn't want to be used an incubator for a baby she does not want, it is HER choice and her choice alone.

Do you think individuals in a committed relationship should need permission from their partners before being sterilized?
    No. I do think it would be wise if anyone who sought this would go through counselling first though, as it is a permanent decision. The partner should be somewhat involved in this counselling (though I think there should be one-on-one as well... where the partner wanting to be sterilised sees a psych without their partner in attendance). I do think the partner should be made aware of the decision, however. It would be morally wrong, IMO, to be sterilised without informing your partner of this.

I love and respect my partner, but decisions about what I do with my body will never be his. He doesn't get a say. I discuss my intentions with him, he voices his opinion, and if I need to consider his viewpoint I do. His opinion is well and truly of much less importance than my own when it involves MY body, however. I expect the same is true of him and his body.
    Totally agree

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Bump for the evening crew

Thanks
    Reviews

Within my relationship I feel he or I should have the others full support.... or yeah let's be honest - "permission".

But legally?

HEELLLLLLLLL NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

I think no to all of it because there are too many variables and instead each person involved should be happy with whatever decision is made with in the relationship whether it be egg/sperm donation, surrogacy, terminations and sterilisations.

Sent from my GT-S6500T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

It's a ridiculous idea to have or put legal rights over someone else's body. Having said that, if you're in a relationship it should be discussed and a joint decision made. If my DH came home and said he was donating sperm end of story I'd have a massive problem with that, equally if it was the other way around he would have a problem too