+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 5 yr old LG on diet

I'm soooooo angry and upset right now. I picked up my DD from her dads this morning before school and he informed me that they are going to control how much she eats cause she needs to loose weight and told her she was going to be going on the trampoline a lot and swimming a lot. She said I don't want to cause my legs will hurt and he said too bad.

Seriously !! All of this and he is overweight !!

She is not fat, she is 5.5yrs old, weighs 24kg and is getting tall fast. She has skinny arms, legs and a bit of a belly but who cares....she is growing!
    She does not need body image issues at 5 ! She eats healthy at our house, she snacks a lot but its fruit, yoghurt, ice blocks (not ice cream), sakatas with hommus is her favorite along with tuna. She doesn't like sandwiches or toast very much.
    I am so angry and do not want to send her back into that negative environment but court orders say I must.
    She goes to him every 2nd weekend for 3 nights and 1 night during the week so I'm hoping that if I just keep doing positive reinforcement here it will be enough.
    If I wasn't in shock from what he was saying and suffering morning sickness I would of said a lot more.
    She also told me her step mum called her a ******** and idiot cause her school socks were pulled up. My poor baby girl.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Sorry its so long.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 5 yr old LG on diet

I would print off some info that supports your argument that she is healthy. Find all the info you can. And then print off info on eating disorders in young girls. Take it all to her dad and ask him to read it.
    Hopefully having more information will make him think differently about your daughter's health.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

mumofprincess  (06-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with PP. Things such as her BMI would be good to arm yourself with, how tall is your DD?

By the way I also think he's gone about this so wrong and this woman sounds like a hag. If he was concerned he should have spoken to you before your DD.

Sent from my HTC Salsa C510b using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wigglemay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK, first of all, what a d!ck. Putting a 5yr old on a diet?! WTF?!
    Get in contact with your lawyer. Get in contact with child services in your state and make a report. Even if they can't/won't act on it, at least it has been documented in case he does follow-through with his stupid idea and her health suffers for it - also report what her step-mother called her as that is emotional abuse.
    PP's advice about getting information and supplying it to him is also fantastic - I would do it and I would keep a record of what you have supplied him too.
    It may be worthwhile going to see the Dr with your DD and asking their advice, they will give you info on her BMI etc which you can provide with FOB. The Dr will also verify that she is not overweight at all.

He is so wrong and you need to take steps to protect your poor DD. Big hugs to both of you

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue&Pink For This Useful Post:

mumofprincess  (06-09-2012),wigglemay  (06-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think everyone on here has given you perfect advise!! I just wanted to say what an as* face!!!! So angry for u ... and that women needs a slap!
    Good luck with everything. Let us know how u go xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MissTashyAlice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 5 yr old LG on diet

Omg thats terrible, your poor DD i feel bad for her being subjected to all that. What a negative way to bring something up with a 5year old.

My DD1 is also 5 (just) she is about 21kgs, i would have thought anything between 20-25 would be a healthy range for that age.

Personally id be taking DD to a gp and explaining the situation and asking them to provide medical proof (report/letter) that she is indeed in a healthy range for her age and that what her dad is suggesting would promote a bad body image and possibly lead to issues down the track.

You should not have to do any of this but it will show your DD also that she is not overweight and does not need a diet - hearing it from a DR might over ride in her mind anything negative that her dad and step mum have told her.

So sorry you are dealing with this

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks ladies. I ended up in tears over it all and had a talk to her teacher and the principal after reading group this morning.
    They are shocked too. I have started the ball rolling with some counseling for her to have a third person to open up too and also family counselling I can go to with her to help her learn how to stand up for herself with them when I'm not around and build her self confidence. They are also doing a program at school next term.

I will definately go to the Dr too. A great idea and print information off.

They both emotional abused me while they were having their affair when dd was born and it took me along time to stand up for myself without becoming a wreck but I'm still learning too. I don't want her to grow up like that too.
    She is my precious angel and I am hurting so much for her.

Thanks
    Reviews

You're taking excellent steps to protect your DD. I know its tough, but she is lucky to have an excellent mummy like you

Me 27 - with DS, 7, DD, 2, and beanie due 1/5/13!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks Blue&Pink.
    Can't wait for her to finish school so I can just sit and hug her. I'm trying not to stress too much cause I know its not good for my little bean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i think if it was me and my daughter i would find some website about eating disorders and give them to him. putting a 5 year old on diet and telling her she WILL exercise until she is sore is just stupid

you said there was a court order in place. i would let them know that it is going on inside the house as well. I personally don't go off the BmI stuff because it can be faulty.

i really hope it doesn't effect her to much!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sandy_1902 For This Useful Post: