+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help. DD and power chucks

I've no idea what's going on. My 7 week old DD has started to do power chucks. She's done it three times in the last 12 hours. Straight after a feed, huge amounts on that I'm soaking wet and have to change. What's wrong with her?

Eta she is fully breastfeed and I don't recall anything different in my diet lately.

Me + DH
    DS 2
    DD
    :-)
    Last edited by cookiedough; 06-09-2012 at 06:22.

Thanks
    Reviews

My bub did this in the early weeks - I worked out he was just drinking too much. I had HUGE amounts of milk and he was constantly choking & coughing from getting too much all at once. Once I worked out he could only drink one side at a time things got much better & the power-chucking stopped. Has your milk supply changed recently?

Don't fret, though - heaps of bubs do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Some babies are just big spewers BUT my twins did the same thing from around 5-11 weeks and they had reflux, they were also fully BF.

We elevated their cot legs with encyclopedias to make it slightly tilted and kept them as still as possible after a feed, moving them too much with stir up their little bellies.

When things got really bad we added karicare thickener to my milk and they also had a small amount of mylanta as advised by GP.

Do you find she's unsettled or uncomfortable before she vomits or goes through stages of crying a lot for no apparent reason?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsOhara View Post
    Some babies are just big spewers BUT my twins did the same thing from around 5-11 weeks and they had reflux, they were also fully BF.

We elevated their cot legs with encyclopedias to make it slightly tilted and kept them as still as possible after a feed, moving them too much with stir up their little bellies.
    This except i just have one little boy, the biggest thing that helped me was keeping them still and upright after there feeds usually for fifteen to twenty minutes. As he has grown it has seemed to have settled down where he will only be sick if he has choked when my let down is too quick or sometimes if he over fills but i can handle the once every four or five days compared to the two or three times a day it used to be. My boy is six weeks so hopefully you wont have to wait to long either before it settles down. good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Both my DD's did this intermittently from birth until three months or so, DD2 more often than DD1. *sigh*

Although overfeeding and reflux can cause impressive vomits, there are a few things that concern me - 1) she has not done this previously; 2) having started she has done it on a number of feeds on 24 hours; 3) she is about the right age to develop pyloric stenosis (PS).

I hope all is well *but* I think you should see a doctor today. He or she may arrange an ultrasound of her belly to rule out PS.

Thanks
    Reviews

How is everything going OP?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Help. DD and power chucks

Thanks for all your input. That condition does sound scary after googling it! She hasn't done a power chuck since I posted early yesterday morning so I'm thinking a tummy bug perhaps. She has no other obvious ills but I'll keep an eye on her and take her to docs if anything changes. Thanks again, its nice to have your worries heard esp in the middle of the night when you feel alone!

Me + DH
    DS 2
    DD
    :-)