+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Grade One Readers

Those with kids at school - how long do they spend doing their home reader every night?

DD is in grade one and is doing really well with reading. She's jumped through the levels this year which is great. But it means that the books she's bringing home for her home readers are quite long. Chapter books - 70 pages or so (not large print) and she has to read them and return in 2 days. This means she's doing an hour of reading every single day to get through them in time. Is this normal for grade one? An hour of home reader a day? She's getting really tired and its putting her off reading altogether. And we're finding it a bit stressful with time pressure too, finding an hour a day to sit and listen to her reader as well as do everything else that needs doing. (that sounds awful - we're quite happy to spend time reading to our kids, and helping with homework, its just that the reader is not leaving us much time for reading other things...)

Does it get any quicker as they go into the older grades or do the books just get longer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Dss is in grade one bringing home readers that are chapter books, the teacher told us that he doesn't have to read it all, just a few pages a day and then return it unfinished.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah, okay. So they don't have to finish them. DD was adamant that they must be returned in 2 days so I'd assumed that meant they must finish them in 2 days. I'll check with the teacher tomorrow. That would take a lot of the pressure off.

Thanks
    Reviews

Well my DD struggles a lot with reading so her books are short. But I help in the classroom sometimes and change the books over and some of the kids who get chapter books will take 2 or 3 days to read them.

She is obviously doing fine so it wouldn't hurt her to just take her time with them and actually enjoy it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I understood it's a chapter a night. DD1 wouldn't really have the concentration for anything more than that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a year one teacher, I'd expect a chapter or so or what ever takes around 15 mins to read. I just ask parents to write in log or diary the pages read.
    they are usually tired from a full day of school!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to acerbaby For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (05-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A chapter a night we could totally do. To finish in 2 days she's doing 3-4 chapters a night and I just don't think its sustainable. I don't want her to start hating reading. When I was 6-7 years old I don't remember doing much in the way of homework at all. I spent most of my time playing in the afternoons. In fact, I don't remember doing home readers at all - but that was a loooong time ago now.

Kids these days seem to have so much pressure on them at school.

I'll clarify with the teacher tomorrow what the expectations are.