+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    In the early 80's my DH and his brothers would be put through this 'ritual' by their father. It involved holding the young child tipping them back and pooring beer down their throats by force. It was called 'drenching.' It happened at social occasions like BBQ's etc. He was often allowed half a can of beer as a child. I aliken it to child abuse. I'm not sure if this was a wide spread practice, or not.
    that IS child abuse, you're poor DH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow, some of the stories in this thread are very disturbing.

No, its not cute, and its not acceptable, and I hope its extremely rare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: **spin off** Do you think its cute when toddlers drink alcohol...

Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Wow, some of the stories in this thread are very disturbing.

No, its not cute, and its not acceptable, and I hope its extremely rare.
    unfortunately it is becoming increasingly popular especially with all these nice tasting drinks that are around. They are sweet tasting and often taste like lollies. If a toddler tried one of these why wouldn't they want more.

I'm backing out of this conversation because people are being way too hard core. No a toddler should not be given alcohol as a form of entertainment. Those people that are mortified that their's nicked an unattended half full can should be also be crucified for not making sure they were adequately supervised.

I am fully aware kids will get up to no good but I am happy knowing that mine will not sneakily steal Lolly water alcohol behind my back because she now thinks all alcohol is the same and tastes gross. She is no longer curious and at risk of tasting something that she could potentially like.

Sent from my GT-S6500T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    In the early 80's my DH and his brothers would be put through this 'ritual' by their father. It involved holding the young child tipping them back and pooring beer down their throats by force. It was called 'drenching.' It happened at social occasions like BBQ's etc. He was often allowed half a can of beer as a child. I aliken it to child abuse. I'm not sure if this was a wide spread practice, or not.
    One would hope its not!!! that's horrible and must have been very traumatic for him

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default **spin off** Do you think its cute when toddlers drink alcohol...

Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    I'm backing out of this conversation because people are being way too hard core. No a toddler should not be given alcohol as a form of entertainment. Those people that are mortified that their's nicked an unattended half full can should be also be crucified for not making sure they were adequately supervised.
    That's a bit harsh. Why should I be crucified because my child found half a drink that DH forgot to clean up?

Because I don't watch her 24/7?

That's very VERY different to offering her some.

I don't mean to come across as 'hardcore' or harsh. But it's poison. And it's illegal (even a sip)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewTheEmu For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Wow I feel sick after reading some of these stories

Why do some people have children? For their own entertainment?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post

Wow, I find it interesting that you are willing to 'crucify' a parent for leaving a drink unattended that then accidentally gets into the hands of a child, whilst simultaneously proclaiming it's fine that you willingly gave your daughter a sip...

Mind you, I don't think what you did makes you the devil incarnate - I wouldn't do it, but I can see your reasoning - but I don't really think you're in a position to judge so harshly. Especially since in a few of these accidents the child was left with a family member, not a parent, who might not understand just how vigilantly you have to watch a small child.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jesssalee For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (07-09-2012),Clementine Grace  (06-09-2012),delirium  (06-09-2012),missjess86  (06-09-2012),pinkplease3  (06-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTheEmu View Post
    That's a bit harsh. Why should I be crucified because my child found half a drink that DH forgot to clean up?

Because I don't watch her 24/7?

That's very VERY different to offering her some.

I don't mean to come across as 'hardcore' or harsh. But it's poison. And it's illegal (even a sip)
    It might seem harsh but so is lumping me and anyone else who gives a tiny sip as a deterrent in with those that routinely gives bottles upon bottles of alcohol to toddlers. Of course in reality I don't believe that people are bad parents if their kid accidentally drink s from a can unless it occurs all the time. In some cases it really does work as deterrent. I would rather try to pre empt it from happening at all.

If kids are curious they will find a way of trying it behind your back when I would rather let her have a bad taste and hate it rather than her try butterscotch schnapps without me seeing and want more.

It is no way the same as letting her drink alcohol like water. And I find it very harsh to be lumped in the same group as those that do. Kind of like being accused of not looking after your kids simply because weren't watching for 5 minutes and they did something they should not have.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Dad used to give me sips of his beer occasionally. I didn't want to drink it because I liked it, I actually rather DIDN'T like it. I just wanted it because dad always drank it and I was a daddy's girl.
    That being said if I had the opportunity and there was a beer sitting there I wouldn't have had more than a sip because I didn't like the taste .

So I think for me that proves that it doesn't matter if you think a child won't like your drink, you probably shouldn't give it to them to taste.
    My dad has been an alcoholic for years, but I don't want to be a 'freak out' type parent that bans alcohol and makes it taboo.
    Cause we all know what teenagers like to do with taboos... Heh.

Thanks
    Reviews

It makes my blood boil. Anyone who thinks giving their child alcohol is sick.