+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Currently 35weeks. I did my GTT as a routine test by my OB at 28 weeks. In my second trimester i ate lots sugary starchy sinful foods. I failed my test. First pregnancy never did this test so don't know if I had GD. DS was only 2.88kg though I put on 16kg. This pregnancy I actually did not put on much weight, and I am actually a bit underweight before becoming pregnant. No family history of diabetes. So I was shocked to fail the test.

Am on four times finger pricks daily and in the beginning was indeed frustrated and refused to monitor my sugar levels, and also freaking about the needle pricks. I kept rationalizing that I can just diet control and will be fine. After reading up possible complications to bub, I decided I have to keep up with my pricks and monitoring. Now it has become rather routine for me, even DS is playing Doctor helping me to slot in the test strip, and reading the monitor for me.

It is interesting to see how some foods cause spikes in sugar readings for me and how some foods dont. So far every week I get about 2-3 slightly borderline readings, others are good. But I read that due to our pregnancy hormones, certain weeks may see your sugar levels go crazy and there may be need for insulin. Eating out is extremely bad from my readings!

I feel hungry all the time so I eat 3 small main meals and 3 tea breaks. My brekkie is the largest meal - lean bacon slices + grilled zuchini, tomato with melted cheese, butter mushrooms, steamed sweet potato cubes, two fried eggs and this is a fantastic meal as it doesn't affect my sugar level much and yet fills me up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And some OB like mine sends you straight for the 2h test to avoid sending you for more needle pricks/ blood draws. If you fail the first test you will be sent for the 2h one, which is 3 blood withdrawals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Glucose test....???

Thanks mum2oneds... Obviously that's what this OB does. Even though I'm 28 weeks I've only seen him once. We had to move all our OB care and for the baby to a hospital that is equipped to deal with 'heart babies' so ive only just switched OBs. I'm not going to do the test tomorrow, I will chat with him on Tuesday and ask for the easier test. The needle part doesn't particularly bother me. I'd rather the shorter test and be able to come home and be lazy on couch during school holidays.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Glucose test....???

I actually would rather just go for the 2hr test. The 1hr test is not as accurate, hence why so many women get high readings, are sent for the second test and pass. My first pregnancy I failed the 1 hr and passed the 2nd. This time I failed both - I now have to manage my diet and do the finger prick tests. My only risk factors were age and the fact I had previous losses- I generally eat well, do not have a sweet tooth, have barely gained weight in pregnancy, no history of diabetes in the family - so I was shocked to have GD.

But after going through all the risks of GD for bub, I'm glad they caught it. We already have a very complicated pregnancy, I dont need any other issues sneaking up on me and making things worse

The finger prick tests have actually been an eye opener for me, seeing how different things affect my glucose levels- not just food but stress too!

So for me I wouldn't refuse the test. Heck I'd rather have just gone straight for 2hr one so I didn't have to spend two days feeling crap from that stupid awful drink.