+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I declined taking the test. My research indicated the test is quite unreliable.

My only risk factor is age and since my great grandmother, grandmother and mother all had babies older than I am with no issue I felt my level of risk was pretty low.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Glucose test....???

Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post

My only risk factor is age and since my great grandmother, grandmother and mother all had babies older than I am with no issue I felt my level of risk was pretty low.
    So this is me then. I can't see that I'm at risk for it. The only risk I can find is that I'm 34. No history of diabetes anywhere in my family. At all. I've actually had my bloods tested in the last year or two anyway because I wanted to be checked just in general for health My bub is already measuring small for gestational age, I didn't have a scary BMI. I feel like its a huge waste of time.
    I already have stupidly low blood pressure and iron. So not eating and sugars are most likely going to make me feel not good and I have to get back to work straight away.
    They seem like stupid reasons but I honestly can't understand why I need this test. Or the 2 hour at that?? I thought they can test urine for sugars and if that picks something up they do the follow up testing like the hour test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Gestational diabetes can strike anyone regardless of your age, family history, prior health and fitness levels. You don't need to have any risk factors to get it nor do you need to be symptomatic. At the end of the day, it's your body and your baby. You have to weigh up the risks for yourself. While I'm not huge on interventions, I do believe in taking precautions. I ask myself if anything went wrong and I knew I had the choice to prevent it, how would I feel knowing I didn't take that opportunity. The two hour jaunt to the vampire clinic doesn't seem like such a big deal to me then. (My OB does the long one standard as the short one is notoriously inaccurate). I've wasted more time on far less productive things. :-)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nettle For This Useful Post:

Made in England  (05-09-2012),Starfish30  (05-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Nettle. I get your point. And I agree with you. However I would rather do the shorter test first and I didn't realize there was one. I wish I'd known before. I thought 2 hour was standard.
    I have OB apt next week. I will not do the test and speak to him about shorter one. Otherwise I am going to wait til school holidays. Then I can take a day to feel awful without missing work. I wish I was more educated about the tests when the OB handed me the referral.
    I don't like being uneducated and pushed into doing unnecessary testing.
    Especially since I'm being so closely monitored anyway due to bubs having a serious heart condition. I'm getting very sick of tests and almost feel radioactive with amount of ultrasounds, blood tests and fetal echo's I've had.

Thanks
    Reviews

I will be refusing it this pregnancy. The likelyhood of me developing it suddenly in my 5th pregnancy when I'm 31 with no history is extremely low.

Thanks
    Reviews

Good to know others do refuse it. Thanks Farout...
    I'm getting a bit tired of going with flow with this stuff! Not overly happy either with flooding my system with sugars either. Would rather 'less invasive' test first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone decided not to do the GTT? And why??

Do all OBs do this as standard?
    Just wondering!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    This ^^^

Thanks
    Reviews

Ahhh Tamtam, that puts it into perspective. Your situations is a little bit different. I get the impression sometimes that OBs forget about what it is like to be on the sticking end of all the poking and prodding. Sounds to me almost like you've been dished another thing on the "to do" list without thought of what other monitoring is going on. Definitely have a chat with your OB. They should be able to tell you how important it is (or not) given the overall picture from your other tests. But do your research. Get online and be armed so if you feel like you're being fobbed you can counter with something solid. Regardless, at the end of the day it is your body and the worst they can do is refuse to treat you...which would seem unlikely over something like the GTT.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks nettle. You are spot on. And I definitely wouldn't do something that endangered bubs at all considering her already 'unhealthy ' heart.
    I wish I'd known there were other shorter tests prior to doing the two hour- like urine or one hour.
    I will be more 'armed' next week at OB. Haha. Then make a decision. I was supposed to have it done in the morning!!! OB will have to wait.