+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Perth - Private vs Public Hospitals

Hi Ladies,
    I have full Private cover and always thought I would go Private but have heard there is a higher rate of intervention in Private (caesarean etc) so now I am very confused.

The area I live in would give me Bently as a Public Hospital which also makes me nervous plus I really dont want to be sharing a room while learning what to do with bub!

I would go to Murdoch as Private I think

Any advised that you lovely ladies could share with a nervous first timer would be great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I thought I read in the paper awhile ago that bently were not offering obstetric services after this year but I could be wrong. Murdoch is nice but you have to have your own OB and the fees are up front then you can claim the money back from your health fund. I think it was going to cost me $3000 or something around that amount. You can use a public hospital as a private patient and still have your own ob ( who delivers at that hospital) and then you just pay for your ob visits and see the midwives at the hospital. I did this thru Galliers ( armadale hospital) and got my own room and dh stayed aswell and the only cost was $17 for his meals which the fund did not cover. As a private patient I still had to pay for my ultrasounds and ob visits which the public patients get for free but I wanted my own ob instead of whoever was on duty that day. I haven't found a higher rate of csects in private hospitals and i was allowed to continue with a natural birth even tho it was less risky to have a csect because of my complications, they respected my choice. You can ring the hospitals and ask about the fees and how their antinatal programs run so you can compare plus see what doctors/obs deliver there so you can check them out too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my DD private (SJOG Subi) and was so, so happy with the experience. I had a great ob, the midwives were amazing and I loved my big, spacious room. I have only heard good reports about Murdoch too.
    I found it to be pricey, while my hospital stay/delivery was fully covered, having to have a private Ob is pricey. I think about appintments were maybe $100 a pop, scans ranging from $200-$400 plus random bills for bloods, tests etc kept rocking up at about $30-$50 a go.

I can't talk much for the intervention rate, I did have an electic c-section. But yes, I have heard it's about 65% I think?

I have only gone public (KEMH) for my ectopics, but I would never deliver a baby there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks lulu - you know how it is when people start giving you 'advice'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Anjalee - I will just have to have a big chat with other half and see what he thinks too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well today I have booked an appointment with Dr Brenters and have decided to go to Murdoch - thanks for your help x