+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mater Private vs Sunnybank Private??

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can give me some feedback about these two hospitals. I've undertaken a lot of online searches and have not come across one bad review about Sunnybank Private.

Mater Private on the other hand has had more than its fair share if bad reviews from bad facilities, unhelpful midwives and lazy nurses. However, Mater Private is renowned for its paediatric care so I'm a little concerned that if I choose Sunnybank Private and if my bub requires urgent medical attention, then he/she may not receive the necessary treatment at Sunnybank Private.

What should I do?
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Rosie,

I can highly recommend Sunnybank as i have had my last 2 children there. With DS2 I had a 2 week stay as I was 35 weeks and had complications with excessive fluid retension and secondary cellulitis. The staff - nurses midwives, cleaning and hospitality staff were lovely, friendly and highly competent. They have a great special care unit with midwives trained specially in this area - who are called along with the paediatrician to birth suite if there is any concern for bub during delivery or immedicately after. They don't take babies born before 32 weeks - I think you have to go to Mater to deliver also. My DS2 spent a day or two in the special care unit and I could not fault them andfound them as good as any major hospital special care unit - My DS1 had 11 days in one (in a different state - not at Mater). I have just had my DD1 there three weeks ago and again found the staff excellent the only complaint I had this time was that the room I was in was terribly cold at night.

Have you got an obstetrician lined up yet? That may also impact your decision on which hospital depending on which one they deliver at.

All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I can't comment on the Mater Private just Sunnybank Private where I had DD.

I've always had this massive phobia of hospitals and prior to DD was lucky enough to never have been admitted. Even visiting people gives me the heeby geebies, can't explain why.

Anyway I loved my time at Sunnybank Private. I reacted badly to the drugs from the c-section (which is my issue not the hospitals) but apart from that everything was great. The midwives were so nice and helpful. I'm a first time mum and didn't go to any anti natal classes so I feel my knowledge was limited. Nothing was an issue. The food was great, the rooms are really nice. I honestly can't think of a single complaint about my time there.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for your advice Daffy! I've been swapping OBs constantly from OBs at Mater to OBs at Sunnybank Private as I can't seem to make up my mind. But with your reassurance, I'm now leaning towards Sunnybank Private. I heard that Dr Sharon Li is an exceptional OB.

I'm intending to go for a C section with her as I've seen my friend's incision and it's only 6cm long! I was so surprised to find out how skillful she is as most of my friends who have had C sections at Mater have had incisions basically from the left of their stomach to the right.... It was very long.

Thanks for your feedback!

Thanks
    Reviews

I had DD at sunnybank. It's a really nice facility, parking easy for family, good size rooms (some rooms anyway). The trouble I had with sunnybank though was the number of staff. I was left for several hours with a PPH because the midwife was unsure and couldn't get the ob because they were in theatre doing a c/s. By the time they got me back to surgery I had lost 4L of blood and then was in ICU. I've been advised that if I have another baby I need to go to mater or Wesley where they have more doctors in case of emergency. Some lovely wonderful midwives at sunnybank, some horribly uncaring midwives, but I think you'll get that mix anywhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

When are you due, greenslopes is opening a maternity section early next year,

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews

I have had three babies at sunnybank private and really loved my time there. I went through dr ngenda for my first two and dr shilton for my last because ngenda went away over my edd. No faults on them whatsoever. Found the staff super supportive in every decision I made through birth and my stay on the ward. If I ever get the chance to have another baby I would be back there in a heart beat.

Thanks
    Reviews

Can't talk for sunnybank but the mater was fantastic, I get the feeling sunnybank is a small facility and not as well equipped as the mater but I could be wrong.