+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Silly first time mum questions

Hey Ladies,

I few first time mum to be questions.. sorry if they seem a bit silly. I am currently 30 weeks 5 days pregnant and im not sure whento start getting everything ready. We have brought almost everything we will need for bub but i am unsure about a few things;
    -when should i fit the car seat?
    -When should i have the Hospital Bag ready? (also what are some essentials for the hospital bag?)
    -When should i get fitted for nursing bras? and do i buy the size up?
    - and i plan on breast feeding. Will i need a breast pump?

Thanks

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Silly first time mum questions

Quote Originally Posted by Rousey View Post
    Hey Ladies,

I few first time mum to be questions.. sorry if they seem a bit silly. I am currently 30 weeks 5 days pregnant and im not sure whento start getting everything ready. We have brought almost everything we will need for bub but i am unsure about a few things;
    -When should i have the Hospital Bag ready? (also what are some essentials for the hospital bag?)

Thanks
    35 weeks
    35 weeks
    https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...-maternity-bra
    Depends on your circumstances. If your planing on not working I would not bother especially in the early weeks as your body adjusts to the supply demand dynamic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Silly first time mum questions

Hey Ladies,

Thanks
    Get the car seat fitted around 34 weeks. You will want to have some practice runs if it's a capsule in getting it in and out.
    Hospital bag at 34 weeks also, throw in some lansinoh cream for nipples just incase as sometimes feeding can be very painful. Don't forget some lip ointment , hospitals are dry and you may need it during labor as well.
    Just buy yourself a couple of nursing singlets with cups in them for now until your breasts settle in the first two weeks then you will know for sure.
    My boobs always actually went back to normal size once my supply was sorted and you want a perfect fit bra when nursing 
    You may find you need a breast pump if you have trouble to Start with or if you want bub and hubby to have a feed together.
    I always pumped for one feed for my husband to have that time together. I felt like a hog otherwise 
    Good luck to you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Rousey

I would start preparing your hospital bag now just in case something happens. Or at least start collecting the things you want to take with you.

I just take clothes that I'll wear home.
    PJ's/ nighty etc. I don't tend to change into everyday clothes when in hospital lol. Maybe I'm just lazy??
    Lots of nickers cause you will leak. Try and get high waisted ones.
    Toiletries including feminine wipes (much easier than rough toilet paper) & nipple cream Marcolan is a good one you don't need to wash off before feeding.
    Lots of maternity pads (i went through about 3 - 4 packets in 2 days. Every time I moved I gushed).
    Breast pads.
    Depending on if your hospital supplies clothes for bub just an outfit for taking bubs home.
    Newborn nappies 1x packet (this will depend on how long you stay in hospital).

I try and take only essential stuff cause you have to cart this stuff to and from the hospital. I try and fit it all into the 1 bag. You can always get DH to bring stuff up if you need it.

I would look at getting the car seat fitted 6 weeks before bubs is due.

I would get fitted for nursing bras now while you can still get around. Also get your self some maternity crop tops to sleep in. I lived in them when I had DD2 and I know I will this time as well. I got mine at Target for around $20 from memory. I kept my nice maternity bras for going out .

I would have a breast pump as it will aid in the supply of breast milk. It is also handy to express and let Dad feed bubs and give you a rest. I have supply issues so my pump is my best friend.
    Last edited by LillyPonds; 05-09-2012 at 11:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Any time from now. I'd do it earlier rather than later, just in case. And that gives you time to get used to using it, and to make sure all the parts are there.

-When should i have the Hospital Bag ready? (also what are some essentials for the hospital bag
    Any time from about 34 weeks onwards. I'd pack several pairs of knickers, some maternity pads (last time I took 2 packets and then the hospital supplied all of them, so I never used them - plus I didn't have much bleeding afterwards, so next time would take just a few), magazines, toiletries, and camera charger/ phone charger/ laptop. I didn't take too much, as DH could pick anything up I needed.

-When should i get fitted for nursing bras? and do i buy the size up
    The Bonds singlets with the fold down cups are great, and flexible for size. I got some nursing bras when I was pregnant and my b00bs changed size. I didn't need any extras afterwards.

- and i plan on breast feeding. Will i need a breast pump
    I would definitely recommend one. I had problems with BF, and the pump was essential for trying to increase my supply. It also means you have flexibility later on if you want to go out and leave your baby with DH/ someone else.

Thanks
    My answers are in red (in case that wasn't obvious). Good luck!!