Seems not many have early wakers

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Early Waking Baby

Quote Originally Posted by Witchypoo View Post
    DS2 is driving me batty. He wakes at between 5am and 5:20am every morning and completely refuses to go back to sleep. He SCREAMS the house down if I try to leave him to resettle himself, or go in to him and then try putting him back down again. He absolutely will not resettle for love or money. He has been doing this since he was about 7 months. I've been waiting for him to 'outgrow' it but apparently he is sticking with it. The worst thing is that he is waking up DS1 with all his crying when we try to resettle him, so I end up giving in and just getting him up.

Has anyone had any luck getting their early riser to sleep later? I absolutely refuse to take him in to bed with us as well.
    Well... 5am is amazing in my opinion! My son was up at 3am from birth and slowly over the next 12 months we managed to get it to 5am.

Hes almost 5 now and wakes at 6:30 which we are happy with given the first 2 years of his life!

Advise.... Ride it out and slowly stretch his bedtime out to 8am. My son would only ever sleep 10 hours so once we eventually got his bedtime to 8pm he began sleeping till 6am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Early Waking Baby

Oh... And try not to get bitter or envious about friends whose kids "sleep till 7/8/9am" i know I ended up really bitter as none of my friends kids were getting up so early and I was always thinking "why me!!!"

You do get passed this phase, ride it out and get naps whenever you can. Big big big hugs :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Early Waking Baby

Quote Originally Posted by VikkiB View Post
    I've just started trying Tizzie Hall's routines ("Save Our Sleep"), and she advocates putting baby to bed at 7pm. Her theory goes like this - babies sleep in cycles of 40min light sleep and then 80min deep sleep (ie 2 hour blocks). If your baby goes to bed at 7pm, he would wake and go back to sleep by himself at 9pm, 11pm, 1am, etc. But if he goes to bed at 7.30, then he would be waking up at 5.30am and not want to go back to sleep because its getting light and the birds are starting to sing.

I've only just started on this, so don't know if it actually works, but thought it might be something for you to consider. Good luck!
    This is one of the most ridiculous things IMO about tizzie hall. She is Irish and worked as a nanny in the uk, where it is light at 4am in summertime so I reckon that part of her theory is a load of bs!

What about babies in Scandinavia? They must sleep for like 23 hours in winter
    Last edited by BigRedV; 10-09-2012 at 20:01.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Mum2Ruairi  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Early Waking Baby

My DS did this too at about the same age. I tried everything to get him to sleep in later but nothing worked. Eventually he finally just started sleeping until 6-6:30 which is much more reasonable. He still very occasionally wakes at 5am the same as he occasionally sleeps through till 7am lol. I think DS was around 9-10months when he started sleeping in a bit later. Fingers crossed ur little man realises there is a much better time of day to wake. good luck waking at that early hour is exhausting!