+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Early Waking Baby

DS2 is driving me batty. He wakes at between 5am and 5:20am every morning and completely refuses to go back to sleep. He SCREAMS the house down if I try to leave him to resettle himself, or go in to him and then try putting him back down again. He absolutely will not resettle for love or money. He has been doing this since he was about 7 months. I've been waiting for him to 'outgrow' it but apparently he is sticking with it.

Has anyone had any luck getting their early riser to sleep later? I absolutely refuse to take him in to bed with us as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

How old is your son and what time does he go to bed? does he wake through the night? How much sleep does he get through the day?
    - these things can all affect a bubs ability to sleep through.

A common cause of waking at that age is temperature and Not enough bedding. It's the coldest part of the night around 5am. I use a thermostat controlled heater so bub never knows ..

Also Is he patted/rocked/fed to sleep or does he use a dummy? These sleep aids can negatively impact a bubs ability to sleep through.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He is 10 months. He doesn't wake during the night. He gets about 3 to 3.5 hours of sleep during the day. He sleeps in a sleeping bag and we have ducted heating set to 17 degrees. He is never assisted to sleep - he self settles. No dummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Sounds like he has himself in a pattern of waking around that time. Although it can be perfectly normal to wake so early (my DS wakes at that time) I've heard you can try to break it by setting your alarm for a week say an hour earlier and just roll him over or very slightly disrupt him, not enough to wake him but to start a new sleep cycle and try to break the 5am habit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS is 8 months. Sometimes he will wake quite early, when he is unable to be re-settled I have taken to giving him toys to play with. I find that at least if he's playing we're hearing joyful, gurgling play noises - this give me more time to doze. Sometimes, he has after a short play fallen back asleep too.