+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Changes in children close to birth

I'm due to have bub #2 in the coming days (fingers crossed!) and all of a sudden my 4.5year old has wet the bed every night this week. This is extremely odd for him, and whilst he wets the bed occasionally (perhaps once every couple of months), he has never had a pattern like this.

I've been ensuring he doesn't have drinks before bed, and he always brushes his teeth and goes to the toilet immediately before sleep time.

Freaking out that it is related to the impending big changes (he is aware baby sister is coming very soon). Could it be related???

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Could it be something medical? Uti?

Thanks
    Reviews

Excuse my naivety - how would I know if it was? Should it hurt when he goes to the toilet or is it a matter of poor bladder control?

Never even occurred to me it could be medical (never had a UTI)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think it could be either. Baby coming is very unsettling for siblings. UTI could also do it, but my money is on baby coming...

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I've never had one either but it seems quiet sudden and its not a once off thing, I'd just want to ensure its nothing medical to start with

Thanks
    Reviews

If he had a uti he would complain of pain. We have just had a baby (10 weeks ago) and I have a four year old. She is a very articulate bright child who self toilet trained at 22months and was dry at night before 3. Just before her brother arrived she started having a few accidents during the day, which was totally wierd. It was like her mind was somewhere else. We r lucky we can count wet beds on one hand. She has changed since her brothers arrival. She totally adores him but does silly things to get our attention. It's hard coz they have been the sole focus for so long. I have two days where we do big girl activities, ballet and swimming. She also has a sticker book and gets stickers for good listening, getting herself dresses etc and after three stickers gets a prize from the prize box. It reminds us to stay focused on her positive behaviour. It is a massive change. They r older and process the change better than a younger child but they still really crave your undivided attention. I am not sure how long u have to go but showing them pics of them as a baby and talking about their baby times is good prep. We took our dd on the hospital tour the week b4 delivery. She helped sort clothes etc. it is a massive change and the age gap is significant enough so that they know life is about to change dramatically.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the advice
    I'm a teacher, so I'm all about positive reinforcements and sticker charts lol.
    I've been talking to him about baby more frequently now that it's so close. I don't want to resort to pull ups or dry nights etc,

If he does it again tonight I'll take him to the doc to rule out anything medical... And then let the extra prepping begin. As if a newborn was t enough lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Haha I am a teacher too

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefully2 For This Useful Post:

squirrelex  (05-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We totally underestimated how much my pregnancy was affecting my ds. He understood the whole thing and felt very much involved, but I think he still felt very anxious about the impending changes. We were all a little uncertain about what having another child would do to our little family and he was uncertain with us. He was clingy, especially at bedtime and generally he was quiet at Kinder too. After bubs arrived and we all settled back in at home all was good. His Kinder teacher noticed big changes in him after our dd was born describing him as more confident and relaxed.

Wetting the bed at night is definitely a sign of anxiety and stress and apart from having the baby there might not be anything you can do. I suggest pull ups for overnight and making as little fuss about it as possible, but giving extra cuddles during the day. My ds was most anxious about me being in hospital and not at home, especially as we weren't sure when I would go into hospital to have the bub.

See your GP if you think a UTI is a possibility. Otherwise relax and give heaps of cuddles (as best you can when you're pregnant) and things will change soon.