+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Midwife program vs obstetrician?

Hi everyone,

This is my first pregnancy and I'm not sure if I should use an obstetrician or join the midwife care plan program? I am in the campbelltown area so I will probably go to campbelltown hospital to give birth. Does anybody have any advice, good or bad experiences, or can recommend a dr?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Midwife program vs obstetrician?

I had my first two private and my third public through Liverpool hospital with the midwives program. Have just completed all of the booking in to have my fourth at campbelltown. Due to my blood type and the fact that I have had 3 large babies, I need to have my first appointment with a dr at the hospital but am hoping to then be cleared to use the midwives program for the rest of the pregnancy. It's all personal opinion but for the amount I paid for private fees for my first two I couldn't say that I actually got any better care than I had with my third. The rules on what post codes can go to Liverpool hospital have just changed which is why I've been sent to campbelltown hospital this time but my first impression yesterday was good. It really depends on what you're comfortable with though. When I had my first two I was convinced that I would get what I paid for and was extremely happy with both my dr and hospital but after having my third in the public system I was just as happy and didn't have to pay out anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello
    with my first I went private, I had a horrible experience. My dr didn't explain anything to me, the midwife on the day didn't seem to have an idea of what to do to help me, which made me even more scared.
    my second I had shared care with a public hospital and a midwife. This time around all my questions were answered and I was taught that fear was my enemy in labour. My midwife was there with me for my whole labour. I had a great experience and managed to push out a 4.6kg baby with only a small episiotomy.
    During labour you need to trust your care giver and feel like you are being looked after, so you can let everything go and get on with birthing your baby.

good luck with everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't know about your area, but I loved the midwifery program I was with Personally I don't understand why you'd go with an obstetrician unless there were complications.