+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At my last place of work, which was where I injured myself, they actually wouldn't follow doctors orders for the injury I had sustained at work. I had to go into work and still work, then go to pysio and take pain killers that made me stoned up to the eyeballs.
    I got my partner to call me in so they'd have more than enough time to find a replacement for me, because when I was stoned, so out of it that it wasn't even funny and in so much pain, even with the pain killers, I screamed every time I moved, breathed or talked, it wasn't condusive to a conversation with my employer.
    Even when my partner called, they told him I had to come in, I had no choice. He reminded them I was on doctors orders to not be in work at the time, and reminded them that they had the doctors certificate for me stating that, and we also had a copy if they'd lost theirs.
    If I had called, I would have ended up going into work and making my injury even worse, tbh, and no place of employment is worth that. My boss shot my integrity to all h3ll anyway, abused and bullied me and made me feel worthless, so I don't really care that he had to deal with my partner just once. Said partner can be pretty scary when he wants to be. =D

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (05-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default WDYT about getting your partner involved in your battles...

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    So if you knew this why post? Just after argy bargy hey?
    Argy Bargy
    I haven't heard that for yonks!

Sorry, nothing relevant to add, just though it was funny.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (06-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Of course I meant sick days and not cases where someone close to you has died. So if you knew this why post? Just after argy bargy hey?
    No but the OP had nothing to do with calling in on sick days but you just had to add that into your opinion. It wasn't enough that everyone was agreeing with the general op you seemed to want to make it controversial.

And guess what - you did.

It seems you're the one who's after argy bargy and every now and then I bite.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    To me it says my mum cared about me and wanted to see what sort of place I'd be working in. At the time I thought it was daggy but it was her choice, not mine, and in no way did it have anything to do with my readiness to work
    Ok, that's cool. I'm not attacking you. It's just my opinion, it was the opinion of the bosses I've worked for. I'm not telling you you should do what I will do with my kids, or what my parents did for me (who were very loving, caring and supportive btw). You got a job, it didn't have any ill effects for you, we just have different opinions and I was just explaining my opinion on it. There's nothing to be confused about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: WDYT about getting your partner involved in your battles...

Speaking of Laryngitis... Thats what I have right at the minute... My voice has been diminishing all afternoon and will soon be gone, I just know it!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Just replying to the op. I fight my own battles hubby fights his, always happy to back each other up if needed. I think what happened in the op is terrible!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Just replying to the op. I fight my own battles hubby fights his, always happy to back each other up if needed. I think what happened in the op is terrible!!
    The OP is hypothetical...

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Wastingtime View Post
    Ok, that's cool. I'm not attacking you. It's just my opinion, it was the opinion of the bosses I've worked for. I'm not telling you you should do what I will do with my kids, or what my parents did for me (who were very loving, caring and supportive btw). You got a job, it didn't have any ill effects for you, we just have different opinions and I was just explaining my opinion on it. There's nothing to be confused about.
    The bit I'm confused about is that a parents actions would be held against a teen and get them judged as not ready to work, and to have their application binned. Seems really unfair and discriminatory is all. Not many young teens would have a say in whether mum or dad walked into the shop or business with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    The bit I'm confused about is that a parents actions would be held against a teen and get them judged as not ready to work, and to have their application binned. Seems really unfair and discriminatory is all. Not many young teens would have a say in whether mum or dad walked into the shop or business with them.
    I can see both sides of this. At the end of the day I think it comes down to the nature of the business. I could see how a really small business might worry that the teen's parents might be overly interfering and hinder getting the work done, whereas in a large organization it would probably be more common. Eg my mother actually applied for my first job when I was 15 without telling me I had to turn up for the interview alone but she definitely got he ball rolling. It was a junior sales position in a large chain of stores and yep it was defintely the norm back then for parents to apply on behalf of their teen.

I was definitely motivated to work, but didn't have a clue at that age how to go about getting a job.

I could see though in other businesses that might be off putting. Not that I agree it should be just that I can see both sides.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was basically the thought process of 'I want to hire you, not hire you and your mum's hand that it looks like you need to hold.' I don't know, like I said before, I've been working full time since I was 15 years old and was getting myself to and from school, at 16 I was working in a job and volunteering in another job (that I thought was the profession I was going in to). At 17 and 18 I was going to interviews and handing in resumes left, right and centre desperately trying to get in to the field of work I was interested in. I secured a job in that field at 18, after being interviewed by 8 people. I just can't imagine what my parents would need to see or why they would need to get personally involved. They helped me with things like what to say, do and wear etc. but once I was there I was on my own.
    At the end of the day, businesses do get to decide who they want to hire, people who came in with their mum, and people who put zero effort in to their appearance when handing in their resume or application weren't given a look in. One particular place, every time a job was advertised about 50 people would apply, if you presented yourself nicely and came in by yourself your resume/application got looked at. If it didn't, it was binned.
    Considering I've worked in a variety of places (big chains and small businesses) and this has been common practice in all of them I don't think it's that uncommon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast