+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default WDYT about getting your partner involved in your battles...

Quote Originally Posted by Wastingtime View Post
    Really? I have worked in a number of different places and it was frowned upon every time. My view has obviously been tainted by my work experiences but I will not be coming with my children to hand in resumes or attend job interviews with them. Obviously not all workplaces feel the same way about it though.
    Yep. She wanted to see the place too, before letting me go to work there, I was only 14. She didn't come to my interviews or anything but to hand in a resume seems like such a small thing. And if a parent told their kid they were coming in while they handed in an application, regardless of how the kid felt, I think it's pretty awful that they aren't given a chance because if their parents action. Anyway, sorry OP, getting off topic!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: WDYT about getting your partner involved in your battles...

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Yep. She wanted to see the place too, before letting me go to work there, I was only 14. She didn't come to my interviews or anything but to hand in a resume seems like such a small thing. And if a parent told their kid they were coming in while they handed in an application, regardless of how the kid felt, I think it's pretty awful that they aren't given a chance because if their parents action. Anyway, sorry OP, getting off topic!
    Same I was interviewed on my own. I didnt have a resume because my previous life experience was being born and attending school. From my dad's point of view he wouldn't have let me go work somewhere without sussing out the owners and work place. Whatever was said obviously the owners didn't mind because they interviewed and hired me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    What annoys me even more than partners getting involved in work issues is when mothers do it. I have had mothers of 16-20 year olds turn up to interviews and want to come into the interview with them, ring to negotiate roster times, call in sick (when it's not for a reason the staff member couldn't have called themselves). Drives me insane! If your child is old enough o have a job then they are old enough to be responsible for their own interview/roster/sick days etc.
    On the partner issue I think we have to be culturally aware also that some woman are raised to have their husband 'take care of them' so the DH getting involved would not be uncommon in some cultures, especially if she has a male boss. this has happened to DH with his staff a few times over the years.
    My parents have had to call up about my younger siblings rosters quite a few times after their workplace has ignored their availability and rostered them on when they have clearly told them multiple times they could not work. I think if the workplace is going to ignore a 14-17 yr old then I have no problem with a parent stepping in.
    I also don't see a problem with them being present (not necessarily in an interview) and waiting back while their kid hands in a resume. Kids don't drive and sometimes it can take a long time so why would they wait in the car every time?

I do agree that people should call in sick themselves with some exceptions e.g. being too sick to talk etc.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    What annoys me even more than partners getting involved in work issues is when mothers do it. I have had mothers of 16-20 year olds turn up to interviews and want to come into the interview with them, ring to negotiate roster times, call in sick (when it's not for a reason the staff member couldn't have called themselves). Drives me insane! If your child is old enough o have a job then they are old enough to be responsible for their own interview/roster/sick days etc.
    On the partner issue I think we have to be culturally aware also that some woman are raised to have their husban
    d 'take care of them' so the DH getting involved would not be uncommon in some cultures, especially if she has a male boss. this has happened to DH with his staff a few times over the years.
    My parents have had to call up about my younger siblings rosters quite a few times after their workplace has ignored their availability and rostered them on when they have clearly told them multiple times they could not work. I think if the workplace is going to ignore a 14-17 yr old then I have no problem with a parent stepping in.
    I also don't see a problem with them being present (not necessarily in an interview) and waiting back while their kid hands in a resume. Kids don't drive and sometimes it can take a long time so why would they wait in the car every time?

I do agree that people should call in sick themselves with some exceptions e.g. being too sick to talk etc.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know...at 15 I was working full time and getting myself to and from work. Before I got full time work and worked in part time jobs with crappy employers my parents would support me but I was the one to speak up.
    To me, having a job is a sign of maturity and part of growing up, and having your parents come with you to hand in your resume just says that you aren't ready for a job yet. Obviously this isn't the case for everyone, but when it comes to my children I'll be sending them in on their own because of how my bosses have responded to potential employees coming in with their parents.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Wastingtime View Post
    I don't know...at 15 I was working full time and getting myself to and from work. Before I got full time work and worked in part time jobs with crappy employers my parents would support me but I was the one to speak up.
    To me, having a job is a sign of maturity and part of growing up, and having your parents come with you to hand in your resume just says that you aren't ready for a job yet. Obviously this isn't the case for everyone, but when it comes to my children I'll be sending them in on their own because of how my bosses have responded to potential employees coming in with their parents.
    To me it says my mum cared about me and wanted to see what sort of place I'd be working in. At the time I thought it was daggy but it was her choice, not mine, and in no way did it have anything to do with my readiness to work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used ot manage a nursing agency, and we had a lot of staff who were from other cultures. Many times the wife would come for an interview and bring her husband. and he would try to sit in and be a partof the job interview. It was a power game, interjecting about money, and where she will and wont work etc. I would always ask him if he was applying as well, and if not, can he please leave. I don't care where you are from, it is absolutely inappropriate to bring a spouse to a job interview.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Jarylee View Post
    Questions intentions and dynamics of the relationship??? Could you explain that to me??

My hubby's boss doesn't have email, so if my husband has been up all night throwing his guts up and is ginally getting some sleep, I will give a courtesy call to his boss in the morning to let him know DH won't be in! Now what dynamics and intentions needs to be questioned there?
    Perhaps this doesn't apply to your particular case but when someone calls in sick for their spouse it makes me think they lack independence/boundaries in their relationship and that they need to live out of each others pockets. And separatley I've come across several cases where it also meant shadiness. (ie chucking a sickie).

As I said before there will be very few cases where someone is actually unable to call in sick for themselves within the required time frame.
    - if someone has been up all night they might be able to leave a early voicemail for their boss (if an office phone is available... If not thats different). Or call when they wake up if it won't be too late.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Seriously VicPark you must have the mightiest pair of balls around you refer a person's need to grow a pair so often!

My DH rang my boss when my brother died. Does that make me pathetic? I know you were referring to sick days but honestly sometimes your posts are so sweeping it's really easy to punch holes in the logic behind them.
    Of course I meant sick days and not cases where someone close to you has died. So if you knew this why post? Just after argy bargy hey?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Years ago, my partner and I were in the supermarket and he spotted somebody he didnt want to see in the aisle. So he went and hid in another aisle, and then snuck out to the car park to avoid confrontation. That is his style, lol.

So it's a moot point for me, but if it wasn't, then I wouldn't want my partner to get involved. If I had a dispute with somebody then it would be between me and them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast