+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bambino View Post
    So, I'm thinking the LA might be a better option for the meds to continue working until late afternoon?
    DD2 takes the LA about 8:30am and it seems to wear off somewhere between 3:30pm and 4pm. So, she does still need the half dose of the ritalin 10 if she has homework that needs to be done. Obviously it needs to be taken as early as possible so it wears off before bed time. It's still hard work trying to get her to co-operate sometimes though as the half dose only helps her a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by bambino View Post
    Ah, with the Ritalin 10, DS is a major chatterbox without it, then as soon as he stops talking, we know it's kicked in. He's then more attentive, doesn't argue, has the best manners etc and will only speak if he wants something or is answering a question, otherwise, you won't hear a peep out of him until it starts to wear off
    Without it DD2 doesn't talk a lot. (except for arguments and tantrums) I would ask her what she did that day and she would say she can't remember or they did nothing.

Now, with the Ritalin LA we get that moment of chattyness in the morning maybe 20mins after taking it (although we didn't get it today so maybe its not every day) and then she is calmer and happier and more able to concentrate.

Now, she will come out of school with a smile on her face. No more complaints from her about not being able to think properly etc. One day she came out smiling and told me they learnt all about fractions that day and she was SO excited to tell me that she could understand the teacher. That's when it really hit home to me that basically without the ritalin she is not understanding much or remembering etc.I feel so guilty for not realising there was a problem for so long.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannielle For This Useful Post:

bambino  (05-09-2012)

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, I was wondering how long does the LA take to "kick in" ?

R10 takes about half an hour for DS at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Her Dr said its usually between 30mins and 45mins for the Ritalin LA to kick in.

But for DD2 I can see it start kicking in after 20mins most days and then definately kicked in after 30mins. There are some days when its more like 30-40mins though.

The Ritalin 10 was taking 30mins to start working.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannielle For This Useful Post:

bambino  (06-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Ritalin 4 hour Vs Ritalin 10 hour ?

Anywhere between 20 minutes and half hour-ish it takes for tys to kick in.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pinkplease3 For This Useful Post:

bambino  (06-09-2012)

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your replies.

We just got back from the Paed, and he won't put DS on LA or Concerta until he's at least 6 years old, which is in November anyway.

The medical jargon that he rattled off was basically that the dosage is higher in mg per tablet, and DS is still quite little in body size (he's tall but skinny). And the fact that he's lost a kilo since starting the tablets 5 months ago.

I guess I can deal with that, and wait until then.

Thanks
    Reviews

November isn't so far away, Ty was 6 before he could have any meds, incidentally his bday is also Nov

Ty is also very tall but thin and I have to watch his weight. I give him those get up and go breakfast drinks which help maintain his weight if not gain. He usually have 1 a day at lunchtime and its easier for him to have that than eat if you know what I mean. He also has a carb rich diet with double the rdi for his age of fats (good fats...) Which helped him get from 15kgs to 24kgs but he's still only just borderline in the healthy weight range for his height, he's 130cm when I measured last a few months ago and not quite 9.

Thanks
    Reviews

There is also a similar thing called sustagen, you can get it from some chemists but we used to order cases of it from the company directly. A case was $30-40 but it was almost a months worth. They give them to patients in hospital that cant eat. It's a total meal replacement with no nasties. Their also used for people with eating disorders and those who are underweight. 1-2 of those a day on top of normal meals will have him putting weight on. We stopped those once Ty seemed to be able to maintain his weight range without them and just the get up and go's instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, November isn't that far away as DD2 & DD3 keep reminding me it's in 2 months. LOL (It's their birthday then too)

DD2's weight is something I need to keep an eye on too and make sure she doesn't loose any weight. (She's really skinny too and she's 128cm while her twin sister is 137.5cm.) Next appointment is in January and I have to make sure she doesn't loose any weight or he might need to change things. I can't do those up and go things as she is CMPI which is a bummer.

Thanks
    Reviews

Would the sustagen ones work for her? Even one a day will help her maintain a weight rather than gain.

Thanks
    Reviews

Or maybe you could find a meal supplement that's non dairy in powder form and just add it to water or juice?

Just found this, it's a vegan whole meal supplement with no nasty additive, it's dairy free along with various other things like gluten and soy free. I'd take a look, see if its an option

http://www.godairyfree.org/product-r...-free-soy-free
    Last edited by pinkplease3; 07-09-2012 at 08:14.