+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Ritalin 4 hour Vs Ritalin 10 hour ?

DS has been on Ritalin 10 (the 4 hour release) for nearly a year now.
    So far all has been good and I have not regretted my decision (it was a very hard decision and a long story).

The only problem I have is that sometimes he forgets to go to the school office at lunch time to take it. Which then reflects his behaviour in the classroom for the afternoon.

So I was wanting to know if anyone knows the difference between the 4 hour and the 10 hour release?
    Do they have the same ingredients, the same effects, the same side effects (no appetite is the main one for us) etc.....

We have an appointment with the Paed at the end of this week, but I was hoping to get some insight from personal experiences before I ask him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can't help but interested to know the answer as we are currently considering ritalin for our son. Can I ask how old is your son, did he have any side effects when he started ritalin? Hope someone else can answer your questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jenga.

DS is turning 6 in November.
    The only side effect he had was 1 complaint of a headache in the very beginning. But none since.
    The only other thing is that his appetite has decreased immensely. He was quite a big eater, fussy but otherwise pretty good, and would eat whatever was put in front of him.
    But now, he hardly eats and grazes more than anything. We make sure he has a huge breakfast before his morning tablet. Then he usually picks at his lunch, and brings home most of it still in his lunch box, then at dinner, we pretty much have to force feed him.
    But other than that, nothing else.

Good luck and all the best in your decision making

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm sorry OP I can not answer your question but wanted to answer Jenga.
    My DD is 7 and we tried ritalin last year, she is ASD, ADD and ODD and the side effects were quite scary. She developed ticks, scratched at her face, pulled at her clothes, she was more active, waking at night (she slept 12 hours a night from a few weeks old) once night she woke at 11pm and was trying to get outside as she though her brother was outside. We stayed with it for a week and decided it wasn't working.

I hope it works for you.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Ritalin 4 hour Vs Ritalin 10 hour ?

Ds1 used to be on Ritalin short acting and he's been on the long acting for well over 2 years. The difference between the two are the release speed. Eg. A cake that contains the exact same ingredients but baked at 2 different temps will take 2 different times. Yes they both contain the same ingredients but the blood system absorbs the LA slower making the 'peak' amount in the blood ****** more stretched out which enables it to last the extra time although its just as effective from taking it as SA. The only side effect you may get is sleep issues but they happen with both SA and LA Ritalin especially when trying to find the right dose. Jeez I hope that made sense
    Oh I just read a PPs comment on appetite, yep Ds's appetite is small when on his tablet but he has a huge breakfast (3 pieces of wholegrain toast, bowl of cereal, usually 2 weetbix with milk, a tub of yogurt and a piece of fruit) his teacher makes sure he at least eats his fruit at fruit break and then he eats all his dinner most nights as we've worked out the right dose for him, although we do still have nights where he won't be hungry at dinner time but within an hour or two he's asking for his dinner and will eat it just before bed.
    Last edited by pinkplease3; 04-09-2012 at 18:07.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pinkplease3 For This Useful Post:

bambino  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, my DD2 (9yrs in November) is on the Ritalin LA. Her Paediatrician said it should be the same as having the Ritalin 10 in the morning and again at lunch time.

She did the trial with the Ritalin 10 and we didn't notice any side effects at all. During the trial we started at a low dose which slowly went up until we got to the right dose. Until we saw the Dr again she was only on it once a day in the morning plus a half dose to try and get homework done some afternoons. Although the half dose only helps a tiny little bit.

When we went back to the Dr he put her on the Ritalin LA. (plus a 1/2 dose of ritalin 10 straight after school when she has a lot of homework to get done) He said it was either that or another dose at lunch time at school and said it was the same. The Dr said the slow release one should last about 7 hours. It seems to last almost exactly that or sometimes about 7 1/2 hours. We have noticed that some days she doesn't eat a lot but then other days she does eat heaps so it seems to even out at the moment. But its something we are watching as she is pretty small already so can't afford to be loosing weight.

I haven't noticed much of a difference between the Ritalin 10 and the Ritalin LA. Except for some reason some days she gets really chatty about when it seems to start to kick in but it only lasts about 5mins. It's like she can suddenly think properly and has heaps to tell me. (That didn't happen with the Ritalin 10)
    Last edited by Dannielle; 04-09-2012 at 18:21.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannielle For This Useful Post:

bambino  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With the Ritalin 10, he has one at home right before we leave for school, so say 8.45am, then he has one at school at 1pm. I don't usually give him another dose in the late afternoon as he won't sleep, but if I do, it will be a half dose, for homework too.

My main concern is him forgetting to take the one at school, without it, he is aggressive and violent. Which of course, continues well into the evening/night.

So, I'm thinking the LA might be a better option for the meds to continue working until late afternoon?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bambino For This Useful Post:

pinkplease3  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Ritalin 4 hour Vs Ritalin 10 hour ?

Obviously your going to need to talk to your pead about changing his meds but he sounds like a good candidate for LA Ritalin. We changed Ty to LA because I was having to go to the school everyday when he was taking SA to give him his tablet, he just wouldn't take it for anyone else! Once we changed over it was a god send! One tablet after breakfast and its done for the day. Both of us can get on with everything else without having to worry about forgetting or the school ringing because something's happened after a blowout.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pinkplease3 For This Useful Post:

bambino  (05-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post

I haven't noticed much of a difference between the Ritalin 10 and the Ritalin LA. Except for some reason some days she gets really chatty about when it seems to start to kick in but it only lasts about 5mins. It's like she can suddenly think properly and has heaps to tell me. (That didn't happen with the Ritalin 10)
    Ah, with the Ritalin 10, DS is a major chatterbox without it, then as soon as he stops talking, we know it's kicked in. He's then more attentive, doesn't argue, has the best manners etc and will only speak if he wants something or is answering a question, otherwise, you won't hear a peep out of him until it starts to wear off

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS 8 changed to Ritalin LA. Initially I didn't like it and wanted to go back to Ritalin 4. But within a week or so was happy with it ( he got overly emotional when he changed). Now it is great and i find it affects his appetite less. Seems to be better when it wears off at end of day too if that makes any sense, he doesn't seem to 'crash' more slowly wears off.Also love that he doesn't need dose at school ( the stigma of getting medication at school and all). Hasn't affected his sleep either. Oh also DS won't take tablets so had to crush tabs and mix with yogurt ( had a few times when i tried to crush and ritalin flew everywhere lol) but LA being capsule easily open them up and pour onto spoon and he even does it himself before school now.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Torrie77 For This Useful Post:

bambino  (05-09-2012)