+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 3 year suddenly purposely having "accidents"

My twin DD's were 3 in April and have been TT for a little while but for the past few weeks C has been purposely messing herself.
    As in she will pee or poo in her pants and laugh telling me I need to change her.
    It is getting so frustrating and I can't help but be mad about it. I have no idea why she is suddenly doing this. I'd have no issue if it was genuine accidents but it seems intentional and she finds it funny.
    She and her sister get plenty of attention so I'm not sure what the issue is but I'm at my wits end.
    I ask her why and she just says "because I did".
    Any tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Pop her back in nappies and say that she hasnt become a big girl yet.

Reverse psychology might work??

Dd1 was having way more accidents when we brought dd2 home from hospy. Took her about six weeks to settle down.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Dd1 was having way more accidents when we brought dd2 home from hospy. Took her about six weeks to settle down.
    Yep, this happened to my DD too and she's nearly 3. She settled down after a while...but then we moved & it started all over again! Apparently it's normal to relapse though - esp at times of change, so we're just toughing it out & staying in undies.

Thanks
    Reviews

Do you think it could be related to me having another baby soon?

Thanks
    Reviews

Ooh...reckon you might be onto something there! DD became really clingy as my due date approached - she knew big changes were afoot!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: 3 year suddenly purposely having "accidents"

I would get her tested for a uti, my dd did this exact same behaviour, I got sick of it and took her to the dr. 1 course of antibiotic and we are all good again. She may be embarrassed that she cant really control it so she is pretending she is. My dd had no other symptoms, and I had just had a baby so initially thought regression too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Send her to the toilet every half hour. Also rule out uti's and the like. If it if medical then making her go more frequently will flush out her system. If it is just laziness then making her go to the toilet every half hour will annoy her enough to make her go back to managing it herself. And if it is genuine regression of forgetfulness then sending her frequently will help her remember. As frustrating as this method is, it totally works.

Thanks
    Reviews

Going through exactly the same thing with DD1 at the moment! She hasn't used the toilet properly for a week and has been having accidents for about 3 weeks now after being totally toilet trained for a few months! DD2 is 9 weeks and has been quite difficult lately so taking up a lot of my time! I'm assuming its for attention but she doesn't laugh or think its funny when she does it. Going back to basic toilet training again tomorrow and taking her to the toilet all the time with constant reminders!

Thanks
    Reviews

I had the same when my DS was about 6 weeks, DD nearly 3 just kept having accidents. I put her back in nappies for about 3 weeks once DS settled I focused on her and telling her she is a big girl and needs to use the toilet. After a week all good again.

I think it was due to my attention all on DS as he had silent reflux and would cry all day long.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep reflux baby here too so she is totally taking all my time! Feel so bad for DD1 - she is really craving my attention!!