+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in the same boat as Sally. I'm used to intensive exercise where I work up a sweat and I can't get clear info from the GP about what "overdoing it" and "overheating" means so in the end I'm hardly exercising at all because I'm frightened of hurting the baby. I get the feeling that when my GP says "exercise is fine," she is thinking of a gentle stroll around the neighbourhood, not a 1 hour Body Pump class.
    Maybe in your pack you could provide guidance for categories of women - those who are already very fit, and those who don't usually exercise.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsStewart For This Useful Post:

littlemissmidwife  (04-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My doctor basically said if you crack a sweat you're exercising too hard. So I've barely been going to the gym because my short attention span doesn't do boring exercise lol

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrstuilawa For This Useful Post:

littlemissmidwife  (04-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much for your input! So sorry for the tardy response, I stopped getting notifications that people were posting to my thread!

That is very interesting that GP's are advising you should do little exercise. This does definitely not match up to the recommendations I have researched (from OBGYN's, GP's and experienced midwives). I will look into this further though before I get myself into trouble and make sure I know the GP's are just overreacting (possibly due to lack of knowledge!).

I am working on a great meal plan for those that have asked, with a very good nutritionist here in Canberra. I apologise if it is not out in time before your bubs arrive but I cannot wait to share it and will certainly let you know. It will be full of yummy healthy food as opposed to all the boring tasteless suggestions out there!

Much love!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi littlemissmidwife, just wondered if you were up and running yet? i've just found out i'm (finally) pregnant and would definitely be interested in any information you had put together! thanks x

Thanks
    Reviews
    +1 - count me in too!
    I play touch footy and basketball and jog regularly and just got my BFP - I know you're not supposed to get too hot, but it's the middle of summer... so what does that mean? And I can play with a heart rate monitor on and sub off if it gets too high I guess. If it's safe to play... who knows???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Type of exercise/intensity allowed would be good to know.

I am only early days yet, but struggling with the diet side of things. I don't feel like eating a lot of the time & when I do, I seem to want greasy, salty things?

I also find all of the safe food rules make it hard to buy a nutritious lunch...I don't always have time to prepare ahead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Exercise in Pregnancy - Your advice wanted!

Something I'm struggling with at the moment is muscle pain in my bum, which is apparently coming from my sciatica.

I'd like to know what sort of stretches I can do to relieve this, and what exercises I can do to strengthen the surrounding muscles, so it's less likely to happen again.

Sleeping with a pillow between my knees is not making a lick of difference!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Exercise in Pregnancy - Your advice wanted!

What your heart rate should not exceed while exercising :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

There's no cut & dry answer to hr's I feel. Everybody's hr's are different parameters.

I've been weight training & cardio for a long time. My pulse has already risen from what it used to be. Age also comes into it & your exercise/ medical history.

Basically I'm still doing my current program. My HR for cardio I let sit around 134-140, but this is me. Something I have researched a lot on.
    I am exercising in ac at the gym. The fans keep me nice & cool. I mean seriously I live in the tropics, it sucks ATM! Anytime outdoors & it is not nice.

I'm a big believer in listen to your body. It will tell you that's fine or hell no that's not good.

I intend to keep as active as I can. I suffer terribly with hyper mobile joints so pregnancy hormones suck big time for me.

My doctor knows me & said good work, keep it up. Last time I worked in a very physical job that was shift work. I went to one of my last midwife appointments & she said 'well if your wearing boots & that & still working you are fine'

Every body is different. There are general guidelines, I think it's the interpretation that people don't understand.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm interested in your meal plan and business (live in Canberra) but I'm already 37wks preg ... Thanks, Katy