+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Confused over AMH levels??

Hi ladies back in 2009 at the age of 35 my levels came back at being 36.
    I've recently re done the test at the age of 38 & my levels are now 39. I'm confused as I thought they go down not up?? Also my FS didn't say there good just that there "normal" for my age. Being that I'm 38 & 3 years older than last time we did IVF should I feel peace off mind or not "going by my age" as our FS put it??
    ATM where hoping for a natural conception, but if nothing happens by Jan next year we will start cycling again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi digbyleigh,
    a level of 39 at 36 is great.

My AMH a couple of months ago was 39 as well. My AMH last year was 18. I asked my FS about it as my level almost doubled! He said that was a little unsual but that I should be a happy that I have a AMH of 39 at 40 years old.

In my last (and only) cycle I managed to get 22 eggs off 100 gonal F- which by the end was told to reduce down to 87.5 and then 0 - a couple of days prior to egg pick up. He said my response was reflective of my high AMH and that next time he would be inclined to use 87.5 Gonal F throughout the cycle.

So it seems that you should be happy with your AMH and you will probably get quite a few eggs your next stimulated cycle with very conservative stimulation (if it comes to that- natural works). However the older we get the quality of the eggs tends to decline. I try not to focus on that too much!

He said thI am one of those women who have high AMH without Polycystic ovaries but have a similar response to stimulation. So that lower levels of stimulation seem to be all that are required to get the needed eggs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Digbyleigh
    I would say that is a pretty good level & you would still have a lot of eggs. I started ivf 5 years ago at the age of 38 but my AMH wasn't tested. It took 12 cycles to get my DD & I had her at 41. My FS didn't bother doing the test as he said it would be low due to my age. I have PCOS and didn't over respond like most people with that issue, I responded quite poorly most of the time and had poor egg quality. I recently did another cycle in April but insisted my AMH be tested and it came back at 5.9 which I was told was a normal level for my age now (43), that cycle didn't work but I still got 4 eggs. I was also told that a woman in her 20's should have an average level of around 50 and the AMH level drops off as you get older and quite rapidly from mid to late 30's. I wish I knew what my AMH level was when I first started so I had something to gauge my current level on as the most eggs I had collected out of all my cycles was 11 way back in the beginning. However numbers is not what you really need, it's quality and AMH can't detect the quality of your eggs. I know plenty of woman that have a much much lower level than yours and they have managed to get pregnant. I would be confused too with seeing an AMH level rise but I think I'd be encouraged by it.

Calita - I thinks it's amazing that your AMH has risen that much, wish mine did

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Confused over AMH levels??

Calita WOW that's a massive increase. Really interesting to know so thankyou for sharing.

Kismet really hope you have another Bub soon.

Thankyou both for giving me some peace of mind. As much as I'm hoping for a natural miracle at least I feel reassured we (should) get good embryos & another baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im 35 now and my AMH is 4 last year it was 1.3 so 34yrs with 1.3 and 35 years wtih 4.0 - its an off fertility world!