+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default The kids are just all over me, I'm exhausted!

Let me preface this by saying there are far worse problems, but ... I am maxiMum flavour of the month in our house ATM. The kids are just all over me, all the time, I'm exhausted! I mean, we are all used to the lack of privacy and cold coffee but it's getting ridiculous! I'm not allowed speak to other parents, or dh even, they have to be holding my hand or clinging onto my leg. They climb up onto me and physically turn my head away from whoever I am talking to. DH gets so little attention it's not funny. Story time at playgroup today, one was doing my makeup with a flower while the other hung off my back. To have lunch today I had to tell dd2 to go away (nicely). Dd1 cling to me at Kindy drop off and raved about how much she would miss me.

Now I know there are worse problems to have and God knows there was a time when dd1 in particular was worryingly unaffectionate (to the point we were concerned about possible autism) but geez this is a complete full circle, I can hardly breathe for little bodies all over me.

What do I have to do? When does this phase stop? I'm considering being deliberately mean to them just to get some space... Well not really but the thought has crossed my mind

Thoughts anyone?

ETA they get heaps of attention so it's not like they are neglected, how much attention can a child really need? Is that a dumb question?

**Nothing spells as goof as typo splats**
    Last edited by Gothel; 04-09-2012 at 13:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I know how you feel!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: The kids are just all over me, I'm exhausted!

So how old are your kids runaway? Mine are 3.5 & almost 5, the elder is the worst and junior is copying everything she sees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

2 and 4.5.
    They both compete with each other, so it's a constant fight over me. Who gets the most kisses, the most cuddles, who can talk to me first, who sits next to me, who plays with my hair, who gets back tickles first. Who gets given their food first, whose water bottle gets filled first. It's never ending and it's so exhausting.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think they are old enough for you to explain to them you need a minute's peace. I have in the past made myself a cup of tea, and said that I need some alone time just for a quick while and that no one is allowed to come and talk to me until I finish my cup of tea. Or other times I have put an alarm on for 5/10 minutes.
    I've also told them that if I'm in the bathroom they're not to come in, if they need me they can knock and ask through the door, if it's not urgent I tell them to wait.

You need some space!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I would not be putting up with them turning my head while talking!! A stern "excuse me but that is not good manners, I am trying to talk to xyz" may help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have that problem (yet ) but I agree that they are old enough to be told that you need some space and that they need to display some manners while you're talking to someone else. I've started that with my 2yo DD now as she likes to just butt in whenever she feels like it (which is always! ).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sakorsha For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh they do get told and they are generally pretty good kids but you know how preschoolers are, you have to tell them every.single.time. Maybe it's time to get a bit tougher though, they already know we come home from outings if they misbehave, so I might add interrupting to the list, three strikes and you're out.

At least I don't feel so strangled now, it helps to know I'm not the only one. I love when parents of older children say "oh don't wish it away, they grow up so fast" - I always think (and sometimes say) "Hah! You're only saying that cos you felt the same!"

Well at least I got something done, dd2 helped me clean the bathroom and we watched Winnie the pooh, now she is happily chatting to clothes pegs in a sheet tent in the sitting room while I have a for-once peaceful coffee yayyy

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I think they are old enough for you to explain to them you need a minute's peace. I have in the past made myself a cup of tea, and said that I need some alone time just for a quick while and that no one is allowed to come and talk to me until I finish my cup of tea. Or other times I have put an alarm on for 5/10 minutes.
    I've also told them that if I'm in the bathroom they're not to come in, if they need me they can knock and ask through the door, if it's not urgent I tell them to wait.

You need some space!
    I do that the opposite way, I set the alarm for 20 mins and w play until it goes of, then it's time to get dinner or whatever. It doesn't stop the interruptions while I'm cooking but it definitely helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think the fact that they are all over you and can't leave you alone is a sign of how much attention you give them. I think the more you give, the more they take. ie the more time you spend with them, the more they want. They obviously love you so much and you are so responsive to their needs -well done! its not an easy job and makes it hard to have some 'you' time and enjoy a hot coffee!

I'm quite intolerant at the moment and am needing a bit more me time (might be the hormones) so if DS doesn't sleep, i ask him to watch TV for 1/2 an hour or so in my room, and i get the peace and uiet of the lounge to myself, or vice versa