+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Need encouragement - considering quitting

Help! I am close to quitting on breastfeeding and I really don't want to.
    I am at uni full time so have to express between classes/lectures, DP gives bub bottles when I am out and I bf when home.
    I get very short breaks and am a little tired of spending all of them expressing and still not having enough (it takes 2x 20-30mins sessions to pump what bub takes per feed). Stupidly, I have been lazy and skipped a couple of sessions. Of course, my supply has dropped which is making it even harder.
    I am just so tired. Life is stressful at the moment and I am over carrying my breast pump etc around with me all day. Sick of having to walk between buildings because there is no fridge in the parents room. Sick of 17 yr olds staring at me like an alien when I put a container of breastmilk in the fridge.
    I fought so hard to keep breastfeeding when the first 6 weeks were pure torture, so I know I will regret it if i stop now, when bub is only 4 months old.
    Please help convince me to keep on going.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I am sorry it's so hard! I can't imagine how hectic it must feel, I wouldn't have been able to.

If you know you'll regret it then don't give up just yet, try the furngreek tea to boost your supply and just keep going!

I don't have very good advice but I wish I never gave up on feeding when my bub was 10 weeks!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Harliben For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Wow! What an amazing job you are doing! I struggled with BF for 5 months with lots of pain, grazing etc. I pumped every other feed to give nipples a break. So I know how time
    Consuming it can be

I don't know if I could do what you are doing, even though I'm
    Passionate about bf-ing.

I don't have any advice on how to make it a little easier for you but you're doing a great job and I'm sure your bub will appreciate it one day

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Wow your doing an amazing job.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to diesal444 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Need encouragement - considering quitting

I think you are doing such a great thing!! If you know you will regret it then try to keep going.
    Maybe you could pump one feed during the night to help get you ahead..

What type of pump do you have? If possible you could look into a double breast pump to save you time when pumping at uni.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you ladies, you're wonderful. I need to remember to go easy on myself - I also have PND and GAD (anxiety), if I was anyone else I would be much kinder.
    To the PP who asked about asking the uni for help - I have tried but nobody can really help me. People just keep sending me to someone else, who sends me to another person, etc. They are ABA accredited as an employer but pretty useless for students.
    I think I will get a double pump as soon as I can afford it, save some time. But would it be heavier? My back is killing me!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Wow! You are doing amazingly well so far!

Is there any chance you could talk to your lecturers and possibly take a small break from uni or do some classes externally?

That way you could feed bub while you are home studying, instead of pumping between classes?

I know a couple of friends who have done this and they said that it helped a lot to be able to relax about it.

I also agree with trying fenugreek and maybe ask your gp about some other ways to help boost your supply.

You are doing so well, stay positive

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lumpy Melon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

I have considered doing a couple of subjects from home, but I don't know how well I would go. Bub is quite demanding and very very distracting lol. I might talk to DP about bringing him with me one day a week because there is a childcare centre on campus. Even if I can't get a place, I'm pretty sure I can bring him to lectures etc. DP (SAHM) is pretty protective though so not sure if she would allow it haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I currently work 4 days a week and express when I am at work. My Bub is nearly 9 months old so I understand how hard it can be.

I dont know whether I could keep it up with all the obsticles you have to overcome so well done for getting this far. If you decide to keep going then I would set small achievable goals (eg continue for an extra week) and when you get that far then reassess. That is what I did and it definately helped me.

Definatley get a double pump. I had a single for my first and it took me 30-60mins to express. I now have a double pump and get the job done in 10mins and my bag is not too heavy. Plus a double pump is meant to increase supply. Mine came with a frezer bag so I just keep my milk with me until I get home.

Have you tried supply boosting foods eg oats funugreek. I find they can help. Also try to express at home shortly after a feed (I know its tough) but it may help.

AND dont beat yourself up about supplementing with formula or changing over to formula. A happy mum makes for a happy bub and if you have had as much as you can take then be proud of being able to breast feed for as long as you have with so many obsticles in your way.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to happy dance For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Who cares what those 17 year olds think. I'm at uni as well and love seeing all the parents around hehe. Have you considered mix feeding to take some of the stress off while you're at uni?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to backgroundnoise For This Useful Post: