+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Family day care costs

I haven't researched it in my area however is family daycare generally cheaper than daycare centres? Just looking for options for a few months down the track and know that for two in long daycare it wouldn't be worth it for me to work!

Me + DH
    DS 2
    DD
    :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

It was for me when dd was in daycare.....that was a few years ago now though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Family day care costs

It isn't for me.

Me 27 - with DS, 7, DD, 2, and beanie due 1/5/13!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The one my son was at was the same price at the local LDCs, but when I was looking for other FDC, some were a bit cheaper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I looked it cost the same as most of the childcare centres around, although some of the in-demand childcare centres are a little more expensive.

Incidently the childcare centre that didnt have a wait list turned out to be fantastic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our family day carer is much cheaper than Day Care Centres in the area. Plus she charges by the hour whereas the Day Care Centres I looked at charge for 1/2 a day or a full day. I pick my DD3 up at 2.45 - if I had put her into a day Care Centre I would have been paying for a full day - so the same rate as another child being picked up at 5 or 6pm.

Our day carer charges $5.50 an hour, so it costs me $33 a day compared to the child care centres I looked, the cheapest was $72 a day, others were $85. Even with the rebate it just wouldn't have been worth my while going to work.

We did look at several family day carers before we found someone we were happy with and we went through a registered Family Day Care service - the carer we have is lovely, an ex early childhood teacher with 2 children of her own. I love the set up and the fact that she only has a maximum of 5 children. DD has made some lovely friends and it is a nice friendly atmosphere.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SpottySocks View Post
    Our family day carer is much cheaper than Day Care Centres in the area. Plus she charges by the hour whereas the Day Care Centres I looked at charge for 1/2 a day or a full day. I pick my DD3 up at 2.45 - if I had put her into a day Care Centre I would have been paying for a full day - so the same rate as another child being picked up at 5 or 6pm.

Our day carer charges $5.50 an hour, so it costs me $33 a day compared to the child care centres I looked, the cheapest was $72 a day, others were $85. Even with the rebate it just wouldn't have been worth my while going to work.

We did look at several family day carers before we found someone we were happy with and we went through a registered Family Day Care service - the carer we have is lovely, an ex early childhood teacher with 2 children of her own. I love the set up and the fact that she only has a maximum of 5 children. DD has made some lovely friends and it is a nice friendly atmosphere.
    You pay $5.50 an hour??!!??! Wow. DS goes to 2 different family day carers (as both don't have all the days I need). The first one was $8.10/hr and I have to provide everything (clothes, nappies, bibs, food, sheets, wipes etc) but has recent increased her fees to $10/hr. the other family day carer is $8.45/hr ($9/hr before 8am) but all I have to provide is clothes, nappies and wipes. There sent any centres where I live so I can't compare.

As pp said I think the main difference is that a centre charges for a whole day, if you use it or not but fdc charges by the hour.

Thanks
    Reviews

It depends on who the family day carer has gone through (either a private scheme or local council). Local council usually have a set fee for family day carers of around $5.50 an hour whereas if you've gone through private scheme you set your own rate depending on the area you live and what you provide.

I charge $10.80 an hour but provide everything (food, nappies, sheets etc) and was told to base my fees to be similar to child care centres in my area.

If you are eligible for child care benefit you will still get it going through family day care along with family tax benefit.
    Last edited by Happymum2; 04-09-2012 at 18:07.