+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfed newborn - too much sleep....

My one month old DD has been a good sleeper from day 1 (as far as newborns go). She has been able to go 4/5 hours without a feed at times while cluster feeding other times. The midwives told me not to let her go 5 hours and even 4 isn't so good this young. I've been waking her after 3 1/2 - 4 hours usually as I don't want the milk supply dramas I had with DS. But I'm wondering, at what age is it ok to let them go longer for a sleep without affecting milk supply/growth? I know every case is different, but in general?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Is it night time or day time that you're wondering about?

I tend to let them sleep at night and would wake 4 hourly during the day if needed to make sure bub is getting enough feeds in 24 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Breastfed newborn - too much sleep....

'in general' babies will wake when they are hungry. My paed told me 6hrly feeds as my daughter was jaundice, I only had to wake her a few times in the first few weeks, now just go with her cues (i demand feed but have been lucky not to have supply issues). I would probably pump to increase supply if you are worried, but newborns dont need a lot, your supply will (hopefully) increase as bubs demand increases. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd slept for 4 - 5 hours day and night from Day 5. No issues here and I let her sleep. BUT, she was big (4.4kg at birth), still had 9 feeds a day (some very close together), had plenty of wet nappies and was NOT jaundiced.

Just feed your baby when she is hungry. She will regulate your milk supply according to her demands. I'm still BFing my 11mo dd who had those big gaps between feeds early on and my milk supply is still going strong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS is almost 8 weeks old and from birth I've been letting him tell me when he's needing a feed. I was told to wake him in hospital and I didn't, the most he'd sleep was 5/6hrs then he'd have a really good feed and be off again for another block. (Pity he's not doing that anymore lol, we're doing 2hr blocks of sleep at night. Its fabulous.)

Feed her when she wakes. If you start waking her you might lose that good sleeper!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was thinking anytime - not especially day or night. She was only a little bubba - 3.1kg when born but is gaining well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, my DD was the same. She slept 4-5 hrs from day one, and by 8 wks she was sleeping 10-12hrs straight with no feed. I was very concerned, as she is a small baby and even now at 10 months and mainly fed solids, she is still very petite.

I was told to let her sleep, and just wake up and express milk to help keep my supply up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My 4 week old normally goes 4 hours without a feed, my midwife said that as long as he is gaining weight then there is no need to wake him. He is still gaining 30-50g per day and has lots of wet nappies so I don't bother waking him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Mchn told me to wake dd for feeds because she was sleeping too much (her words) as a newborn... She would regularly sleep 4-5 hours during the day and only ever had one night feed ... As she was alert when she was awake, had plenty of wet nappies and was gaining weight I just smiled politely and nodded and NEVER woke her.

Pssssst ... She's nearly 3 and is the best sleeper ... Demands to go to bed ... Sleeps for 2 1/2 - 3 hrs in afternoon (most days) and then 11 hours overnight ... Embrace it x