+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Stomach muscles after pregnancy - how long to recover?

How long did it take for your stomach muscles to return to normal?
    I find I still feel very weak in the abdomen ... Getting up and down is an effort and my abs ache after doing very little.
    interested in responses from those with natural birth as well as cesearean.
    Also did you find ab exercises helped or is there a natural recovery time first?

Not that I want a washboard tummy! Just the core support ...
    the flabby mummy tummy can wait to be dealt with later!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    In my case never, i require surgery to repair my stomach muscle
    My physio told me it can take 8-12 weeks of exercise before you see results though, sometimes a bit longer. It won't repair on it's own, in most cases you need to do some core exercise - see a physio though as the wrong exercises will make it worse (like crunches).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mothersmilk - sorry to hear that! Will you be having the surgery?

Anyone else out there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I second the recommendation to see a physio to get the right exercises.

I went to a physio 'class' at a public hospital with my SIL when DD was about 6 months and her DS (2nd) was about 2 months. This was open to anyone and cost about $15.

I had a CS at a different hospital and was never offered any kind of elastic band/girdle/support post-birth by my hospital physio. The ladies at the class had mostly birthed at the class hosp and had used some sort of support band as that was what their physio offered as standard. I'd tried to follow the sheet my post-birth physio gave me for exercises but it's so much better having someone 'correct' you mid-move so you're doing it right.

Anyhoo, most of the mums in the class had much younger bubs (and less recovery time therefore) but my DRAM (the gap in the middle) was as big if not bigger than most, despite starting back at yoga when bub was 10 weeks (+ weekly lessons prior to birth). But once I started on the right exercises, it closed up much faster than it had been and my tummy stopped looking 5 months pregnant at last!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stomach muscles after pregnancy - how long to recover?

After DS I struggled to sit upright and roll over for many months. When he was almost one, just before falling pregnant again, I started training with a PT to specifically strengthen my abdominal muscles. I worked on them right through to about 28weeks, which relieved back and hip pain too.

I had a speedy recover after DD and felt much stronger for having worked out during the pregnancy!

I am training weekly now and am seeing an improvement (DD is 6mo now) after only 4 sessions. The training is high impact but really helps. My abs are stronger and pull back together (to about 2-3cms gap when engaged). I doubt they will even fully come back together though! Both babies were big and I was all out the front- after each delivery the midwife would fit both fits side by side between split.

Strengthening my core and teaching myself to engage them all the time is good enough for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fionaalice View Post
    Mothersmilk - sorry to hear that! Will you be having the surgery?

Anyone else out there?
    It was planned for early next year but i fell pregnant so i now have to wait a couple years but yes i will have it, it needs to be fixed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You'll definitely need to work on them. I started with exercises I was told to do in hospital as soon as I got home and did them every day religiously until I was back at the gym (5-6 weeks post birth each baby). There's a gap of about 2cm still but unless surgically repaired that will not change. I won't be having surgery, I don't need it. My stomach muscles were back to pre pregnancy strength by the time my babies were 3 months old.