Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default never felt so angry

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I know there'll be people who will do the, "Oh, but a 4-year-old is still just a baby..." blah blah responses (I haven't read, but I know BH well enough to guess! lol). I don't buy that though, and with DD, when she pulls that kind of crap, it's a, "I don't care, do it yourself and go to sleep."

I let her know I'm unimpressed. At 4, she's old enough to know that it's not on, is unnecessary and makes Mummy angry!

TBH, I think I'd just ignore it, or go in, do it, but let her know I'm furious and unimpressed. I would hope that might let her know how much of a bad idea it is to keep doing it.

In our house, I'm as important as anyone else, so I don't just turn into a slave for my daughter. I let her know if she's annoyed me, upset me, p*ssed me off... because that's how the world works. People get annoyed when you behave in an annoying way. I want her to learn that. If she has a genuine issue then fine... but she will learn that waking me up for something as dumb as pulling up her blankets, which she can do herself, is not going to be a good decision on her part.
    But a 4 year old doesn't have the ability to say 'I just really want to know u r always there me' so instead tests this out with random behaviour like calling out in the middle of the night for the blankets to be moved.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hopefully2 For This Useful Post:

Blue&Pink  (04-09-2012),Gandalf  (04-09-2012),Happy2be3  (04-09-2012),mrswhitehouse  (04-09-2012)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    HUGs hun, no sleep sucks especially when you are not ued to it and heavily pregnant and still working and looking after your little one I hope she sleeps better for you tonight hon.

When is your man back from work ? hoefuly SOON xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

My 5 yr old dd sometimes does this. If its something she can do for herself (which it usually is) I just ignore it and she's back asleep pretty quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: never felt so angry

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I know there'll be people who will do the, "Oh, but a 4-year-old is still just a baby..." blah blah responses (I haven't read, but I know BH well enough to guess! lol). I don't buy that though, and with DD, when she pulls that kind of crap, it's a, "I don't care, do it yourself and go to sleep."

I let her know I'm unimpressed. At 4, she's old enough to know that it's not on, is unnecessary and makes Mummy angry!

TBH, I think I'd just ignore it, or go in, do it, but let her know I'm furious and unimpressed. I would hope that might let her know how much of a bad idea it is to keep doing it.

In our house, I'm as important as anyone else, so I don't just turn into a slave for my daughter. I let her know if she's annoyed me, upset me, p*ssed me off... because that's how the world works. People get annoyed when you behave in an annoying way. I want her to learn that. If she has a genuine issue then fine... but she will learn that waking me up for something as dumb as pulling up her blankets, which she can do herself, is not going to be a good decision on her part.
    I totally agree with all of this!!!

Sent from my LG-P920 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm sorry but I'm in the camp of she is only 4, she is away from you practically full time, her father is away more than he is home and you are pregnant with another child - the poor kid is looking for some love and reassurance not to be yelled at and smacked!!!

I get your pregnant, practically parenting alone and trying to juggle work all at the same time but you need to take a deep breath and approach this situation alot differently - your daughter is trying to reach out and you are shutting her out, I can't imagine what that is doing to get emotional well being!

Try and talk to someone irl and come up with some strategies on how to control your anger and how to respond more effectively to this behaviour

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JaneDoe For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (04-09-2012),hopefully2  (04-09-2012),mrswhitehouse  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im the working mum of a night waking 4 year old to. EVERY night. She comes in to our bed and insists on sleeping with her arms wrapped around me. I get no sleep EVER. Im tired and cranky most of the time to.

But - shes 4. She justs wants to be near me. She wont do this forever and one day I will miss those little arms around me in the night.

I know how you feel - really I do.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raising Leprechauns For This Useful Post:

Blue&Pink  (04-09-2012),hopefully2  (04-09-2012),mrswhitehouse  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah sorry I am a bit gobsmacked that some people see this behaviour as a child just being a nuisance.

Poor little love just wants some love.

I read a saying once that has stuck with me "those that appear to deserve the least love need it the most".

So sad. Just look a little deeper and there are little people begging to be validated and adored not just dealt with.

Thanks
    Reviews

She's four comfort the poor kid...
    Last edited by DQ; 04-09-2012 at 20:02.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MsOptimistic For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

((hugs))

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: never felt so angry

ok i dont take my frustrations out on her, yes i get upset but i dont hurt her and i am there if she genuinly needs comfort. But i also know my daughter better than anyone else and i KNOW that she is just crying out for attention, because she actually gets it from me at night.

i know she is only 4 but some of the behavior is just delay tactics. I am going to work on it, we are on a mummy daughter date now at the pub (shes in the playroom) and i will be helping her with her pjs/reading some stories tonight to make her feel a bit more loved. But i wont be having her in my bed or just continuing to get up to her every couple hours. I need her to be able to sort this out for herself like i know she can.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub