+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well I don't use time out for her feelings (ie a tantrum), I use it to reinforce that drawing on the white book case with red crayon is not cool. If she hits me she may go to time out but generally it is for property related offences.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    well when DS is throwing a massive tantrum and hitting me he gets time out. I couldn't care what the research says. Although, lately I find it better to just give myself time out. I go into my room, shut the door, use my iphone and wait until the exorcist child has decided to leave. Works a treat.
    ive done this too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When the 'experts' finally decide how we should be raising our children, I hope they get back to each of us personally. So sick of the neverending list of things we should or shouldn't be doing. It's impossible to keep up with. Who is raising their child perfectly anyway? I'm just trying to do my best and stay sane at the same time.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Witchypoo For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (04-09-2012),beebs  (04-09-2012),Boobycino  (04-09-2012),bumMum  (04-09-2012),intruderalert1234  (04-09-2012),Kirsty6679  (04-09-2012),NancyBlackett  (04-09-2012),Ulysses  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: New "research" shows Time Outs can be harmful to children?

I wonder who's paying for this research.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have 8 kids and 6 of them are under 11 so my house is very stressful for everyone...with so many kids its hard to put them in time out....i put myself in timeout instead...i sit in my ensuite and tell them im not coming out until they are doing the right thing...sometimes i hear them fighting for a minute or so but usually they calm donw faster this way. soon we wont have any form of discipine that is ok.....

Thanks
    Reviews

Default New "research" shows Time Outs can be harmful to children?

Wow. I think I should start looking at the different techniques now before I need them! Maybe I'll be able to find something that will suit my DD's personality...

I've never really been keen on time outs - a close friend has been using it since her DD was around 20ish months, puts her in a naughty spot facing the wall and she sits there screaming hysterically - its very upsetting for me to watch. She does calm down by the end of her time out, but I can't say that it's changed her behaviour much, she's still a bit of a bully and very demanding.. Maybe it's the style of time out? I don't know. But I think I'll read up on the other techniques and see if anything suits us..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Square777 View Post
    My son does the EXACT same thing with the wee's!! He is 3, so do you think yours has gotten better now being 4? That might give me hope yet...

I might have to give that a go, mine pushes my buttons so badly, perhaps me walking away from him and making him not be able to access me would help? Although he would probably either bang on the doors or do soemthing destructive cos he wasn't in my sight.....
    Sigh......
    The weeing stopped, but he is still pretty defiant. If we put him in his room, he just opens the door and walks out with a triumphant type expression. I have found temporary confiscation of toys quite effective. But it has to be toys he really likes. One day, I just reached my end point and told him I was going to throw some toys in the bin (I don't agree with that as a parenting method btw but I snapped), and he calmly picked them up, threw them in the bin and waited for me to make the next move.

Us walking away does help, but you're right in that you risk him damaging something in your absence.

I am thinking of trying a sticker chart to encourage positive behaviour.

I have found his behaviour is at its worst when he is bored or feels like he is not getting enough attention, so I probably need to provide more stimulation for him.