+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default New "research" shows Time Outs can be harmful to children?

What do you think?

Thankfully I've not needed Time Out or anything else as yet, as DD has only had a few mild tantrums that were manageable.. But I've always wondered what techniques I'd use when the situation called for it.

Do u think Time out works, or do u think it's harmful? What techniques do u use to calm your upset/angry/badly behaving child?

ETA: Whoopsie, pregnancy brain!! - link to article here (not very substantial stuff tho)
    http://news.com.au/lifestyle/parenti...-1226462275628
    Last edited by jo7; 03-09-2012 at 20:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Link?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Well what are you supposed to use then? You shouldn't smack now you shouldn't time out? There has to be some consequence for bad behaviour, surely?

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

AliG  (03-09-2012),beebs  (03-09-2012),Eko  (04-09-2012),FrothyFrog  (03-09-2012),halloweendee  (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I put my rabid 3yr old in his room. Absolutely no way will he be subjecting us to one of his performances. He comes out when he's calmed down or I go in and find him reading books.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (03-09-2012),halloweendee  (03-09-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    have you got a link to the research?

I have researched this particular method of behaviour modification and most of the research points to it being one of the least harmful and most effective methods for young children when done properly. But I guess like anything, there will always be some studies saying the opposite - its about studies that are replicated and backed by solid research.

Timeout is not meant to be a punishment per se, it is meant to be time out of attention as opposed to time in with attention. There is a law which states the more you give attention to something the more the act/behaviour will occur - this is the premise that time out is based on. So time out straight after bad behaviour results in the child getting NO attention, via the method of time-out. I don't believe any method of behaviour modification is free of negative effects, but that goes for most things in life.

I researched this topic last semester, so I guess this must be very new research you are referring to. A link would be good, if you have one.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 03-09-2012 at 20:43.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I was smacked and had time outs as a kid and I'm not traumatized so I see no problem with it. I don't know anyone who became traumatized from it - it taught us discipline and boundaries and those are two very important lessons for children.

Thanks
    Reviews

DD self imposes time out.

She'll get upset and stomp about something and then declare she is going away to think about it.

It works for her (and me).

Is she self-harming?

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (03-09-2012),FearlessLeader  (03-09-2012),halloweendee  (03-09-2012),Lilahh  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I give DD1 time out in her room to think about what she has done. Seems to work for us

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by backgroundnoise View Post
    I was smacked and had time outs as a kid and I'm not traumatized so I see no problem with it. I don't know anyone who became traumatized from it - it taught us discipline and boundaries and those are two very important lessons for children.
    I was smacked and while I wouldn't say I'm at all traumatised it did make me very resentful to my mum, and probably had more negative affects than positive- for me personally. I've always found time outs more effective with my DD and DSS and DSD. Now that they are a bit older (8,9,10) we use removal of privileges like computer time etc. I did try smacking DD when she was younger, I'm not overly proud of that, and TBH, it upset me more than her and it didn't phase her much at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I didn't think this was new info? Dr Louise Porter has been around for a while - I have her book "Children are People Too" and it's a good read.

I personally don't use time out/naughty corners, but I don't judge anyone that does.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (04-09-2012)