+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default How do you overcome being an emotional eater??

I have no fraking idea. I tried numerous things but instead ended up having wls and that's pretty much made it impossible for me to have an emotional binge.

There are overeaters anonymous groups around Australia which may be worth looking into though. I also have a friend who swears hypnotherapy helped her emotional eating.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

2made3  (04-09-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: How do you overcome being an emotional eater??

Quote Originally Posted by bekindtoyourself View Post
    Mrs tight wiggle I'm going to check out Michelle's book, always very interested in finding new resources, especially in the areas of mindfulness.
    Agree with mindful eating too. If anyone is looking for a good resource on mindfulness I can reccomend Jon kabat-zinn. He has lots of guided meditation CDs that are great for beginners or anyone.

Another person I love is Tara Brach. She has free podcasts talks about this kind of stuff, very good I find.

Oh and also dr Rick Kausmann also has done a book called calm eating and has a set of cards with helpful phrases. When you start researching there is a lot lot more than just the old weight watchers or lite n easy type approach to food!

Good luck everyone
    Lol right back at ya! I'll be looking up the resources you mentioned, it certainly is a big area when you look into it, but there isn't much money to be made from it so it's never publicised. Why would any business have an interest in teaching people to regulate their own weight? Good luck yourself

**Nothing spells as goof as typo splats**

Thanks
    Reviews

My thoughts exactly!! Sometimes I get all cynical and get on my soapbox about how weight loss companies want you to feel bad about yourself and put weight back on because if they were too successful they would run out of customers and go broke! Haha but yes it's very nice to realise there is lots more, wiser and calmer options out there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh thank you so much ladies! I will definitely look into all the resources mentioned above - can't wait to get hold of them!

Thank you

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 2made3 For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

You're welcome

Just remember that often when you deal with the underlying stuff it's often harder and also takes longer but as someone who has been working at it for a long time (don't be scared off when I tell you 5 years!) I am in a 100% better place to where I was 5 years ago.

I compare myself to my poor mum who has done every diet under the sun and is still battling with food and body image issues in her 60's and I'm glad I've taken this path.

Good luck

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bekindtoyourself For This Useful Post:

2made3  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you so much bekindtoyourself!

I have just ordered both books by Dr Rick Kausmann & am going to make an appointment with Julie Viney - she sounds like exactly what I need and is only 40 mins from me. I have been battling ED's for years, and like you mention about your mum, I don't want to be 60 and still feeling like this

Well done on getting so far yourself. I hope I can join you soon enough!

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh I am so touched that I helped even a little. Asking for help is a brave and courageous step, wishing you all the very best xxoo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bekindtoyourself For This Useful Post:

2made3  (12-09-2012)