+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Four year olds behavior?

Hi there,

I need some help. My four year olds behavior is so bad. I am really struggling to cope with him.

He is so incredibly rude. He talks back constantly, always uses his "angry voice", hits and kicks walls etc when he doesn't get his own way. We try to do time out but he totally loses the plot, hitting kicking throwing etc.

He seems to also be constantly tired, and I know tiredness effects his behavior terribly. We have only just stopped day naps as it was making it so hard to get him to sleep at night. But when he does nap he'll easily nap for 2-3 hours then sleep 11 hours overnight. But then I feel like I'm just making excuses for his behaviour.

Please help me with ideas on how to manage it and raise a much calmer lil boy?

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a challenging four year old too. We're trying kinesiology and Bach flower remedies at the moment. No real advice just sending hugs and reassurance that someone knows how you feel!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I'm sorry to say but it appears to be normal 4 year old behavior. My 4 year old DD is much the same.
    I guess the key is to be consistent.

Sorry, I'm not much help here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Four year olds behavior?

Our dd1 was like this. we cut out artificial colours and found it made a huge difference. I'm not saying it will work for you but maybe trial it for a well or so. I found colours played a massive role in or case and I was a non believer to start with.

Sent from my GT-S6500T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No advice but my 4 year old is the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It might be normal but its not acceptable at all. My four year old has his naughty moment but more often than not he is great. He has been waking up hella early these days so gets grumpy earlier than normal, I just give him quiet time to calm down and make it very clear I will not put up with the bad moods.

I have no advice because its just the way I have raised him I believe as to why he is a great child, it has a lot ot do with his up bringing.

Setting boundaries and punishment for bad behaviour and rewards for good. Speaking to him to let him know how rude he is and what is the right way to get what he wants and that he cant always have it.

Im slowly seeing a great improvement with my 2 year old as he is learning how to deal with certain situations. Its really good to see.

Thanks
    Reviews
    well mine is only 3 but have all the same challenging behaviours and same issues with sleep etc... it's no win.

Sleep during the day, and then nights are a huge drama but he still gets really rude and grumpy as the day goes on, and the aggression too...

I'mhoping it improves some time in the future but it doesn't seem to be so far....

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I think clear set boundaries help me discipline my boys (going on 4 and just turned 5) also 124 magic advise not to start time out (away from anything electrical, doesn't have to be a corner or naughty spot) until they have calmed down. So I would put ds1 into time out and didn't start the clock until he stopped tantruming. You might find the book helpful

Other than that I hear you, both my boys are spirited and boys go through a testosterone surge around the age of 4 which doesn't help

Also someone once told me and I have constantly reminded myself of- no amount of perfect parenting creates the perfect child!

(also we have been colour and preservative and bad additive free since ds1 was 18 months).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    It might be normal but its not acceptable at all. My four year old has his naughty moment but more often than not he is great. He has been waking up hella early these days so gets grumpy earlier than normal, I just give him quiet time to calm down and make it very clear I will not put up with the bad moods.

I have no advice because its just the way I have raised him I believe as to why he is a great child, it has a lot ot do with his up bringing.

Setting boundaries and punishment for bad behaviour and rewards for good. Speaking to him to let him know how rude he is and what is the right way to get what he wants and that he cant always have it.

Im slowly seeing a great improvement with my 2 year old as he is learning how to deal with certain situations. Its really good to see.
    I'm glad your children respond so well to your parenting style, but I'll think you'll find that some parents will still cross barriers to ideal behaviour from their children regardless of how hard they are trying.
    It's not as simple as saying it is not acceptable... I'm aware of the expectations I have for my child... doesn't mean he plays the game though!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Square777 For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (03-09-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Four year olds behavior?

My 4yo is a challenge too, we have tried so many disciplinary methods and on a bad day it's a constant effort to keep her in line. She has good and bad days and there is a definite link between her food and her behaviour. I keep processed stuff to a minimum and keep her off wheat and a few other things, (plus she is dairy allergic). Her diet is fairly restricted but if I don't, she's a demon. For example we have been trialling Spelt bread the last two weeks, and she is waking up in the absolute worst mood, she's arguing with us, fighting with her sister, won't help or cooperate in multiple little ways, screaming and stamping her feet, throwing things etc. Anyone can tell you that it's all normal preschooler stuff, but in my experience when she is not responding to discipline, something has snuck into her diet that is making her behave like this. We also used kinesiology to diagnose her intolerances (allergy testing only showed dairy) and I learned a lot from fedup.com.au.

So we are cutting out the bread again and going back to our nice peaceful happy household. I know there is a happy child in there, we just have to feed her the right stuff to keep the happy on top

**Nothing spells as goof as typo splats**