+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sport in early pregnancy?

So I just wanted others' opinions on this. I've been playing ladies indoor netball, only once a week, for about 6 mths now. I found out about 2 weeks ago that I'm pregnant and by my ultrasound dates, I'm only just over 6 weeks along. I still want to play netball, until at least 10-12 weeks, or maybe even just until it's uncomfortable for me. Dh thinks I should stop altogether and my dr says that if it was in the pool, def, but if it were him, he would stop, but hasn't told me to just stop. Really my question is if I'm just being stupid and selfish by wanting to continue playing? Let me add as well that in all the ames I've played, there hasn't been any rough contact or anything like that. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews

If you were doing it before, it is perfectly safe to continue so long as you aren't considered a high risk pregnancy. I'm 15 weeks and hit the gym five days per week on a strength and cardio problem. My OB had no problem with me continuing and did the same with my last pregnancy. Zero complications, weight gain controlled and I definitely feel I bounced back better for it. :-)

Of course with what I do there isn't really much risk of me falling or experiencing direct abdominal trauma. Non-contact sports somehow manage to get pretty rough so perhaps something to consider down the track.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I played until I was too sick to play at around 6 weeks. Had my all day sickness wrapped up by now I would have gone back to playing (I'm 16 weeks) but I wouldn't be playing much longer as I'm starting to get bit of a tummy!

Lots of people wouldn't play that long due to the chance of being knocked/elbowed/getting a ball to the tummy.... I guess you have to weigh up the risks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I went to the GP to confirm my pregnancy I asked whether I could continue to play netball and she advised me not to. I guess as PP pointed out it's taking into consideration the risks etc.

My other exercise - Zumba, gym etc I was fine to continue, though I felt too ill in my first trimester to continue, but picked up the gym in second trimester - just nothing too strenuous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My GP and OB had no issue with me continuing to play netball as long as I was comfortable. I played for 13weeks first time around and 7 weeks this time (the season ended when I was 7 weeks so it worked well!). Ultimately it's your decision...... Weigh up the risks and see if you think it's ok to continue. IMO the risks are small enough to justify continuing to play something that I love and that keeps me mentally and physically healthy!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I continued playing indoor netball until I was 14weeks pregnant, I would have played longer but as you know it's got quite a bit of contact and I took a huge shove to my belly which cause some bleeding, I freaked out so I stopped.
    My OB had no problem with me playing(because I had already been active and playing prior to the pregnancy) and I continued at the gym until I was almost 20weeks, then lost motivation I'm now 35weeks and I started back last week, but nowhere near at the intensity I was doing earlier in the preg.

Thanks
    Reviews

I wouldn't play. It wouldn't take much to get a good elbow to the stomach by an over zealous defender..

Another thing to consider is the people who you are playing against. Imagine if you were playing against someone who was pregnant and you injured them or knocked them down, causing damage to their baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I wouldn't, even though netball is non contact, I've been hit in the guts/knocked over plenty of times.

I still exercised during pregnancy, I went to the gym, walked the dog, but netball for me would be a no, no!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Sport in early pregnancy?

I think it really depends on the level you are playing. Some games of netball can get really violent for a non contact sport!

I danced until I was 7 months pregnant and did my last competition at 6 months which included lyrical breakdancing.. think headstands, freezes, etc. It was fine because that is what my body was used to doing but I wouldn't do it this time because I wouldn't feel comfortable.

See how you go. You can stop if you need to just maybe warn the other team that you are pregnant and would prefer not to be elbowed in the stomach.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub