+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Bulging Belly

Thanks so much everyone. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good post pregnancy experienced physio in brisbane? Preferably north side

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bulging Belly

Maree Sweetman at Northwest Physio at Everton Park is a good women's health physio.

Thanks
    Reviews

For any of you who have the same problem as me, I think this may be the answer!!! http://mutusystem.com/diastasis-rect...ncy-tummy.html

Here is a cut and paste with the info...

Diastasis Recti
     symptoms & information can be confusing. A particular area that often causes concern is when your post pregnancy belly is not squidgy, or jelly-belly like, but rather hard & protruding, as if you were 5 months pregnant again  Is this diastasis recti? Or could something else be causing it?
    This can be more confusing when the rest of your body is relatively lean or slim, but the mummy tummy hasn’t gone away. It doesn’t *feel* like excess fat, because it’s firm & sticks out, literally like when you were pregnant.
    Sometimes it gets worse throughout the day, getting bigger at the end of the day or after a big meal.
    Bottom line, you’re fed up with being asked when the next one’s due, & can’t understand why the rest of your body has pretty much ‘gone back’, but the belly is still a BIG problem.
    OK, well there are a few factors which could be contributing:
    Firstly, & this applies especially if your belly seems to get bigger throughout the day, or if you feel bloated or uncomfortable after eating: there could be excess sugar in your diet, &/or you could have developed an intolerance to certain foods. All of these will cause swelling & bloating, as undigested food in your intestine is literally ‘pushing’ your stomach outwards.
    Cut out processed foods, including sugar, & try cutting out wheat & dairy as well for a few weeks. None of these foods are necessary for healthy diet so you won’t come to any harm by removing them for a while! And try to monitor when it feels worse. Very often women complain of bloating which varies throughout the day – if this is the case for you, then your muscles are not to blame, this is a digestive issue
    Clean up your diet as much as you can, drink plenty of water & herbal teas to encourage digestion & eat plenty of fibre in the form of whole fruits & vegetables & wholegrain carbs such as wholegrain rice, quinoa, rye, oats & spelt (Note: the last 3 grains on this list contain gluten… you may be intolerant to all gluten containing foods, so if the problems persist, you may need to go totally gluten free).
    You can get propoerly tested for gluten or other allergies – I found this really informative site
    which very clearly explains a lot of food intolerance issues & conditions.
    But sugar
     is the place to start… it may well be all you need to cut out, to see a dramatic difference & to make you feel a whole lot more comfortable.
    Second possible cause is your posture. The posture of pregnancy & mothering doesn’t do the profile of our tummies any favours! Imagine your pelvis is a bowl of water, which you have to keep upright to stop the water spilling… If you are over-arching your back (& consequently sticking out your belly), you’ll need to level out your pelvis by tilting it back towards you. When this over arched back & protruding belly is a permanent postural state (as it is for many mums), then the outward pressure on the rectus muscle (the one that splits with a diastasis) is increased. It also further weakens your transverse muscle, the important one to strengthen to get a flat tummy.
    Thirdly, you may be doing your core exercise
    , but it is possible to go through the motions of these exercises without engaging the transverse muscle correctly. The key is what your lower abdomen looks like as you do them. Does it bulge out at all? If so, you are unknowingly increasing intra-abdominal pressure & training the muscles to push outward still further. You may be ‘bearing down’ or pushing (yes, this relates to your pelvic floor muscles too!) when you want to be achieving the opposite. When you engage your transverse muscles correctly, the lower abdomen should hollow inwards as the muscle contracts.
    And the fourth factor is of course, diastasis recti… plenty more on diastasis recti here.

Lastly, a bloated, painful & swollen abdomen CAN be a sign of something very serious like ovarian cancer
     – this is not to scare you, but simply to say that there’s no harm in getting checked out if you’re really concerned. Remember this is much less likely, & the above are  much more likely causes, but I want to make sure I cover every possibility!
    I hope this helps! Are YOU fed up with being asked when the next one’s due!
    Last edited by Joey123; 04-09-2012 at 21:00.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bulging Belly

Aka abdominal separation. Kinda what I meant about not all "core" exercises are the same. :-) I saw a Physio for a knee issue and did my separation at the same time. Had some improvement with his recommended exercises but couldn't close the last half finger width. (Came down from 1.5 finger widths). He said it may never entirely fuse. Having said that, half finger is nothing, the bulge was barely noticeable and I was only advised not to try for single rep max stuff. As my strength program is more based on 6-8 reps that not an issue. Hoping to have another shot at closure after the next one is born!

My physio is at Taigum if youre keen. He's a dude but he's experienced and familiar with pregnancy and post partum related stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks Nettle. My separation is 3-4 cm at rest and narrows to 4-17mm with contracting. Because it is so small I am now wondering if this basket ball tummy I have is due to other things rather than separation. Can you please pm me your physio details and I'll possibly go and see him. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bulging Belly

3-4cm at rest is quite big. I would have started with that immediately post birth. Back then I had a belly so I'm not surprised by your description! While core should engaged when walking around, it is not the point where you're bracing as if about to lift a heavy weight which is what you'd be needing to keep everything sucked in. Does that makes sense?

Rick Walton at Taigum Physio: 3865 6484

Thanks
    Reviews

Have got some exercises for my transverse abdominis muscles and have cut out several possible allergens from my diet and have lost 1cm off my stomach over night, after one day. Could be the start of something very exciting!!!