+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bulging Belly

I have a 13 year old, a 3 year old and a 16 month old. I train/exercise 6 days a week and compete in triathlons. I consider myself very fit. I am 163cm tall and weight 56kg, but ... I look like I am 4-5 months pregnant! I have a small separation in my stomach muscles and a very small belly button hernia. I have just been to the hospital (after being referred by my GP) - I was seen by a dr in the colorectal department. He has said that the hernia and the muscle separation has nothing to do with the 'bulge' that I have. Also I tummy tuck wouldn't fix it cause I don't have any flabby skin. He doesn't know what is causing it and wouldn't recommend trying to fix it. (I don't know why, if he doesn't even know what it is).
    Anyway, obviously I'm going back to the GP for another referral to someone who will know what it is and may be able to give me some advice! But just wondering if anyone else has experienced/knows someone who has experienced the same problem. Basically, when I lay down, I have a flat stomach, when I do a sit up, you can see the ridge, vertically, down my belly where the muscles don't meet, my belly button is always an 'outie' (none of these things really bother me) but when I stand or sit up, my belly hangs out and it looks like I'm pregnant. It's not flabby, it relatively hard, and round like a beach ball.
    I would love some opinions/suggestions/anything on what I could do, who I could see, what you have experienced. I know there's worse problems in the world and I am very lucky this is all I have to worry about. But at the same time I hate being asked when my baby is due. It hurts my feelings so much.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bulging Belly

How many finger widths is your separation? If you are lean enough to see the ridge externally I'd say the separation is your issue. Have you thought about consulting a physio to look at exercises specific to closure? Not all "core" work achieves the result and sometimes separation won't close except surgically.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Bulging Belly

Have u had any back pain? I am exactly the same as you describe...I have osteoporosis and had a crush fracture in my spine so have a loss of height which pushes everything out.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Reviews

Rarely. When I do my cycle class at the gym I sometimes get a little achy in the lower back, but that feels more like muscle over use.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Bulging Belly

I think I would definitely get a second opinion, as it does sound like its the separation that is causing the bulge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have a separation and it looks much like you described. It isn't hard though, it is quite soft in the middle, where the separation is.
    I am getting mine surgically fixed after i finishing having babies as physio has not helped at all.

Thanks
    Reviews

Mothers milk,
    It's soft in the middle where the separation is, when I do a sit up. But when I am standing, it all feels the same, pretty hard, not squishy.

The colorectal guy, at the hospital that I was referred to, said that because the separation in relatively small, fixing it won't make a difference to my bulge.

I have spoken to my mum and she recons I should see a different professional, perhaps a ... Bugger, forgot what they're called ... The ones that look after you when you're pregnant and delivering ????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bulging Belly

Obstetrician?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine is fairly big so maybe that's why?
    Maybe see a plastic surgeon who will be able to tell you if sewing your muscle up would be a good option for you?
    Have you seen a physio? If not that i advise doing that first, they know all about abdo separations and give you correct advice on what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews

Nettle, yes! Thank you

Mother's milk, yes, seen a physio. They gave my pelvic floor exercises to do, but also said it probably wouldn't make any difference.
    Thanks anyway