+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Who is a SAHM full time by choice?

I'm a sahm by choice, well I'm pregnant but before that I was too, my DH says I can stay that way but once the two smaller ones are at school I will be studying or working. Just for me
    Money is sometimes tight (Almost always) but when we were both working full time we were miserable. Lots of money but miserable, now less money and very happy. Funny how it works out!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post
    I'm a sahm mum have been for 3 yrs now but they go to daycare 1 day a week so I can get stuff done an not worry about them.
    same here. i love my 'me' day to do the housework/gardening/doctors/physio classes in peace (plus i cant take them to the physio/hydro therapy) and dd loves daycare! I chose to keep her spot when my work contract finished

Thanks
    Reviews

I was a SAHM for 6 years, when I decided to go study. After falling pregnant I finished the year and deferred to have the baby, then decided to not go back (indefinitely) so once again a SAHM by choice. I'm blessed that dp can support our family so I could decide for myself without external pressure.

Thanks
    Reviews

Dbl post

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a SAHM too and have been since I had my first nearly 21yrs ago. Even though I had my first at 17yrs old, I loved being at home with my son.
    It was only when my marriage dissolved that I was faced with finding away to support me and my kids.
    I studied and went to work but I hated the rush and never being available for school trips and things.
    When I met my darling DH, he was happy for me to return to being a SAHM when I had my daughter.
    Now she is going on 8yrs, and I still love being an at home mum.
    But we have just moved areas and I feel a little isolated to say the least.
    Hubby goes to work, DD goes to school. It would be nice to have someone to catch up with for a cuppa, chat or go for a walk.

I sometimes also would like to work or study, but I have spent so much time looking after the family and putting their needs first. I have no qualifications or have no idea what 'my interests' are.
    Does any one else feel this way?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no issues with SAHM and I don't know many people who do. I have to go back to work at 9-10 months.

I just don't understand how people can afford to be SAHM, I envy them and look up to them for that reason!! My husband and I have great, well paying jobs, which has resulted in us having a huge mortgage and an investment property and his salary alone would not even cover the mortgages, let alone bills (our bills for both properties are $1600 per month [this has been done via thorough budget over the past 2 years]) so I don't see a way out or a way to be a SATM!

If you can manage, don't let rude, judgmental people get to you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My other question is, if you're a SAHM very long term, how do people plan to fund old age and retirement with no super or investments?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by embee80 View Post
    My other question is, if you're a SAHM very long term, how do people plan to fund old age and retirement with no super or investments?
    1. We lead simple lives to start with and don't need a lot of money, and will continue living this way.
    2. We put whatever extra money we can into our home loan to get it paid off faster. Once we own our home outright then we can divert that money into some other form of savings. We didn't borrow the maximum we were able to so that we are able to pay it off faster.
    3. My husband salary sacrifices for his super at the moment because his employer matches the amount.

I don't actually trust super as the be all and end all of retirement income.

I'm home full time by choice - because I believe it is the best thing for my family. I'll do some sort of work when the kids are all older, again because I want to. I plan never to work full time, because first and foremost my responsibility is to run my household. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to get proper work (I trained as a teacher) rather than writing and sewing and getting whatever income I can get for it, because DH wants our kids to go to private school.