+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Parents of children with Autism - need your advice

We have DS on supplements from a naturopath like Fish Oil, multivitamin, Astra 8 for immune system. The Astra 8 has definitely helped as DS is a very fussy eater and was getting sick often.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ItWasntMe For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (03-09-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ItWasntMe View Post
    We have DS on supplements from a naturopath like Fish Oil, multivitamin, Astra 8 for immune system. The Astra 8 has definitely helped as DS is a very fussy eater and was getting sick often.
    thank you for this. I will look into this for her.

the paed basically laughed off dietary changes - luckily i studied developmental psychology last semester and my lecturer told me to start worrying if any paed tried to a do a diagnosis of ADHD or ASD without even considering the sleep and dietary habits of a young child….I am so glad I had a little bit of knowledge about it. I am also so glad i can come on here to draw on the knowledge of other mums who have been through this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was diagnosed at 2yrs 9 months by a paed. She used the CARS (Child Autism Rating Scale) which I think is similar to the CAT??

He is only mild-moderate and we have nearly used up all our funding already (he is 4.5yrs now). We were already getting private speech therapy when he was diagnosed & the speech therapist agreed with the diagnosis. We never went through any formal assessments that cost lots of money & time, and managed to get funding within a week of diagnosis.

I wasn't too surprised however, as I knew DS was not quite right from the time he was 6 months old. I had been doing a lot of research on the internet and with other parents of autistic children and my DS seemed to fit into the same category. Either way, the fact my DS needed intervention was my main concern and whatever the professionals wanted to call it didn't bother me - as long as he was getting help!

From my understanding, it is not possible (unless symptoms are very severe) to formally diagnose any child until they are 6/7 years old??? Otherwise it is just a fundamental diagnosis to ensure funding &/or therapy is pursued & the child gets help where they need it. Many children may be considered "off" the spectrum by the time they reach school if adequate therapy is utilized and continued (or so our paed says).

It's a hard one as every child on the spectrum will have different problems etc even if they are diagnosed with the same level of ASD ie Aspergers.

So there prob are tests that are more accurate, but none of them will be "accurate" until the child is fully developed, so to speak (at an older age).

As for diet, I sought out a naturopath that specialized in ASD and it did wonders for my son - so I agree with the others, don't listen to the GP! Through all my DS "professional" visits and advice, you soon learn that they are not always right or helpful. Do your research and go with what YOU believe to be the best for your child. You will know, trust your instincts. They will be right!

Good luck. It's never easy when you know your child needs help & you just want to do the right thing x

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2made3 For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Was it you that saw the Four Corners episode on gut health and autism? Sorry if I have you confused with someone else.

Anyway, what we have done stems from the theory discussed on that show.

Here 'tis

Don'ts
    - No gluten or dairy (what beebs said)
    - No soy
    - Very little refined sugar. Some is ok
    - No additives
    - No vegetable oil except olive and coconut

Dos
    - Lots of vegatables and fruit (preferably organic but not essential)
    - Unprocessed meat and fish (again preferably organic but not essential) and free range eggs

Perhaps most importantly of all: fermented foods and bone broths. Bone broths strengthen and repair the 'gut' (digestive system) and also the immune system. And fermented foods fight the bad guys and replace them with good guys to recolonise your whole system. Some people use probiotics from a health food shop or similar but I have chosen to go with probiotic food which I make myself.

When we first started this in May DD was SOOOOOOO fussy with her food and I wondered what on earth she would eat. Well, it has taken some time but she now eats wonderfully. Everything from mushrooms to prawns to coconut yoghurt to cabbage. I would never have believed it possible.

In fact when we started this way of eating, it was to help her sister who has coeliac disease and myself as I am recovering from chronic illness. I had no idea we would inadvertantly help her too. Not only that though, my DH who has had depression since childhood is remarkably better too! All this through diet. I don't even use supplements it is purely food.

If that all seems too overwhelming, I would just start with eliminating gluten, dairy and additives and see what happens.

If you want links for the fermented food and bone broth stuff, let me know and I'll PM them to you.

Do you regret asking now?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeh, buy " fed up " by sue dengates. It's amazing . We stopped my son on raisins/ sultanas , grapes and pineapple and as many artificial colors as poss / preservatives ect..... He is a different child now. Give him a box of sultanas and he goes into his own world , eyes glaze over, speech deteriorates , tantrums you name it. I used to feed him grapes and sultanas almost daily before. Most certainly terrible for my son .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babynomad For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (03-09-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    Was it you that saw the Four Corners episode on gut health and autism? Sorry if I have you confused with someone else.

Anyway, what we have done stems from the theory discussed on that show.

Here 'tis

Don'ts
    - No gluten or dairy (what beebs said)
    - No soy
    - Very little refined sugar. Some is ok
    - No additives
    - No vegetable oil except olive and coconut

Dos
    - Lots of vegatables and fruit (preferably organic but not essential)
    - Unprocessed meat and fish (again preferably organic but not essential) and free range eggs

Perhaps most importantly of all: fermented foods and bone broths. Bone broths strengthen and repair the 'gut' (digestive system) and also the immune system. And fermented foods fight the bad guys and replace them with good guys to recolonise your whole system. Some people use probiotics from a health food shop or similar but I have chosen to go with probiotic food which I make myself.

When we first started this in May DD was SOOOOOOO fussy with her food and I wondered what on earth she would eat. Well, it has taken some time but she now eats wonderfully. Everything from mushrooms to prawns to coconut yoghurt to cabbage. I would never have believed it possible.

In fact when we started this way of eating, it was to help her sister who has coeliac disease and myself as I am recovering from chronic illness. I had no idea we would inadvertantly help her too. Not only that though, my DH who has had depression since childhood is remarkably better too! All this through diet. I don't even use supplements it is purely food.

If that all seems too overwhelming, I would just start with eliminating gluten, dairy and additives and see what happens.

If you want links for the fermented food and bone broth stuff, let me know and I'll PM them to you.

Do you regret asking now?
    yep that was me who posted the four corners story - the paed today brushed it off when i raised it with her.

I have been planning to implement some of the diet changes mentioned in the story and the available literature which some friends from uni supplied after discussing the show with them (as a precautionary thing) but need to sort through all the info - there is alot out there. Your info and feedback on the changes is very helpful thankyou - good to know that in practise it has worked and simplifies alot of it.

Will definitely make the time to implement diet changes now.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Parents of children with Autism - need your advice

Put it this way... Time will tell of he does in fact have autism or not. That Paed sounds like an idiot

***Sent from my phone***

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No problem at all, it's a pleasure.

I would be very interested to hear how you go.

I find nutrition fascinating. So much so, I am thinking of changing careers

All the best to you and your DD

14. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    one Book that was recommended to me by my lecturer is Rainbow food by Denise Greenway. http://www.rainbowfood.com.au/ but i haven't had a chance to buy it yet - but will do as soon as I can - the stuff I have looked at briefly from her seems quite good.

thanks for all your advice - i am actually feeling much better about it tonight, thanks to you ladies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is also a website called www.wrong planet.net google it, it's for aspergers and autism. These people are fascinating and deep and so interesting! Some are non verbal but through the Internet they have found there voice and they are so smart and interesting. I go there when I feel like I need to know more , it reassuring much more than someone who has studied it , it's straight from the horses mouth. It's a great forum to look at when you feeling worried about the future .

17. The Following User Says Thank You to babynomad For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (03-09-2012)