+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Getting rid of mould on the wall above the shower?

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Lol do you think that pools which are wet damp surfaces, often shaded would be exempt from growing mould? Chlorine is a biocide and last time I checked mould was a living organism. Lots of studies show it works, even the government recommends using diluted chlorine for en masse clean up of mould eg. in a flood. You don't get rid of it if the moisture remains as mould spores can be found in every day air. However you are right that a lot of products just bleach the mould white.

If you are looking for a 'safer' option I use vinegar on clothing.
    Funny, 1.5 years ago the town I was in went through a mould crisis, every house in town was effected. Everyone else was using commercial cleaners or bleach and had to apply applications multiple times I used the tea tree solution once and the mould never returned. The link above IS a government link it says NOT to use bleach.

I also think tea tree/vinegar is better for the environment.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Lol do you think that pools which are wet damp surfaces, often shaded would be exempt from growing mould? Chlorine is a biocide and last time I checked mould was a living organism. Lots of studies show it works, even the government recommends using diluted chlorine for en masse clean up of mould eg. in a flood. You don't get rid of it if the moisture remains as mould spores can be found in every day air. However you are right that a lot of products just bleach the mould white.

If you are looking for a 'safer' option I use vinegar on clothing.

http://www.floodassist.com.au/Mould-...our-Abatement/
    That link is about a gas. Aren't we talking about liquids?

BoyCrazy is offline <MY SWEET BABY GIRL HARPER 9 MONTHS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babybubbles View Post
    How bizarre lol
    you must be new here

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BoyCrazy For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    only been here a couple months heh i guess i have some learning to do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Bleach does kill mould but not on porous surfaces. It will kill the surface mould but not the roots which are embedded in the pores. DF recommended I use bleach, he is an industrial chemist and formulates cleaning goods for a living.

Mould on any flat non porous surface isn't a problem - I think anything including wiping it off with a fissure would solve that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by babybubbles View Post
    are people really getting catty about bleach? really?
    This isn't catty - this is a discussion. Many discussion and debates get mistaken for an argument when really people are just discussing stuff.

Its not nasty until someone has a flounce

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i use un diluted calcium disolver and soem elbow grease on mould and sudomous ( that pink stuff in the shower ) ( dont tell enjo lady she will kill me haha) but yer that with a old white mit works wonders then i give it a good clean with the marble paste

I use calcium disolver a lot i love it but i still use bleach on the toilets 2 times a day i know i know it kills the ducks lol but i cant not use bleach 2 times a day in teh toilets

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I just asked DF and he confirmed that bleach both kills the mould and bleaches it. *shrug*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldcoastmumofone View Post
    OP, I had this problem when we were renting but the cause was poor ventilation to the bathroom. We told our real estate agent & they had an extractor fan installed. No more mould. Before you clean it off, I'd suggest you take photos of the problem area & email them to the agent. If you're doing all you can & the problem persists it's their responsibility to maintain the property for the owner.
    Agree, in Tasmania at least the owner is responsible for mould as it is deemed to be a structural/ventilation issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I spray glen 20 on it, then use the iga home brand mould remover. Always works wonders.
    I also use Milton sterilizing stuff on it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I'd say the mould is feeding off the dust? I'd sugar soap it the spray and wipe it with the tea tree solution