+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    I agree farmers are important and should be recognized as so, and I really don't know anything about this topic but I would see the price war as a good thing for consumers...? Right? U get your stuff for less... Shouldn't it be up to the farmers to regulate how low they can go?? How do I know if $3.45 for kg of banana is too little to pay?
    They don't really have a choice, if Coles or Woolies don't buy their milk, for example, who will?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Avoiding the Big 2

Farmers are price takers not price setters unfortunately. Our costs of production keep rising rapidly and what we receive for our produce is getting lower everyday

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stumpy For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (03-09-2012),Mahjong  (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I always shop at Woolworths (plus I work there), can not stand the layout of Coles. It just bugs me.

We get most of our meat from the local butcher next door which is been in our suburb for 20 odd years, but prefer mince/steaks from Woolworths.

Get fruit and veg from the fruit shop which is also in the small shopping complex.

IGA's prices (well at the least ones near me which are still quite a drive away) are an absolute joke, and I wouldn't buy anything from them unless I was absolutely desperate. Plus they don't have the range that the big supermarkets have.

Can never seem to find anything I want in Aldi either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I must read up on this... But it makes no sense farmers (or anyone else with a product) should be able to set prices (provided its fair of course)...
    Farmers should unite, if it came down to it I believe Australians would back Australian made, I would!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Problem is many Australians believe that lower prices have to be a good thing without thinking that Woolies and Coles won't cut their take so someone has to lose out. If farmers don't on sell their milk/bananas/tomatoes/whatever to the big 2 their market is fairly limited and so is their potentional income. They rely on the big 2 to buy their produce so have to take the price set by the buyer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    I must read up on this... But it makes no sense farmers (or anyone else with a product) should be able to set prices (provided its fair of course)...
    Farmers should unite, if it came down to it I believe Australians would back Australian made, I would!
    Im glad that you are thinking about it Sadly it's not reality They would loose their lively-hoods and these supermarkets would shop overseas and import more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    Problem is many Australians believe that lower prices have to be a good thing
    When you're trying to support yourself on $350 a week then yeah lower prices is a good thing. Just saying...... Not everyone (like some have posted here) can afford to shop at smaller up market shops.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm a dairy farmer, but I still shop at woollies, living out where I am our
    Local IGA is a rip off and with 5 kids I just can't afford to shop there,
    There are no farmers markets out here (Beleive it or not, crazy) but then most of the farmers out here are big
    Farmers who don't have time to be trotting off to markets, the one I do know of travels hours to Melbourne to sell.
    So woollies it is, it's the only place we
    As a large farming family can afford to shop

Thanks
    Reviews
    I shop at Woolies. It's easy and convinient. I have about 1hr a week to do my food shopping, so I want to do it all in the one place, one trolley etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

I try to avoid them. I'm in SA and have an awesome Foodland nearby. Of course, Coles is walking distance though! They get very little of our business